British Columbia: Looking for Horseradish root for growing

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by specialk, Mar 21, 2011.

1. specialk

specialk Member

Hi there... can't get horseradish root for growing locally. Was able to find a grocer that had very old (dehydrated) roots but they were no good. Is there somewhere, or even someone, who could help send me either a few roots - or perhaps just a link to somewhere online I could purchase them.

Thanks very much,
    Kevan H.

2. elgordo

elgordo Active Member

Don't do it!!!! I did it once, and I was digging it up all over my garden - super invasive. However, if you keep it contained, like in a large pot, it is worth growing. If you go to an organic grocer you should be able to find fresh horseradish roots that are quite viable. I got mine at Choices Market in South Surrey.

3. specialk

specialk Member

Roger that elgordo! I'm well aware and planning to grow it in 4" PVC pipes at 24" in depth. That should contain any monsters.

4. elgordo

elgordo Active Member

Definitely should, and you should have no problem finding a viable root at a market. It took mine no time to turn into a monster!

5. vitog

vitog Contributor 10 Years

Just about any garden centre will have horseradish plants for sale.

6. Lysichiton

Lysichiton Active Member

I'm in the "Oy vay! Don't do it!" camp. For me it is in the same category as Borage (Borago officinalis)..."Herbs that want to take over the world". Took me several years to eliminate it. I think if you planted a bottle of horseradish, it would grow round here.

7. elgordo

elgordo Active Member

Yes, if only things like tomatoes grew as well! But as long as there is a sufficient barrier, it should be fine - I personally would grow it in a large pot.

8. specialk

specialk Member

I'm right with you though I found large pots and/or half barrels were $40 to $50+ at the local nursery. 4" pipe from neighbours build = free.

Now I'm doing it like this guy - but similar. Hoping for long straight-ish roots!
    Check it out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c24KHNclYWM

9. Gabriolan

Gabriolan Active Member 10 Years

Hullo, Kevan! Take a look at Seeds of Diversity's Horseradish - Varieties Sold in Canada list. There you'll find links to four Canadian seed companies that sell horseradish.

10. specialk

specialk Member

Thanks Gabriolan! I posted a message through UsedNanaimo.com and someone on Gabriola replied and has horseradish that needs dividing up! Bingo!

11. Gabriolan

Gabriolan Active Member 10 Years

Well, that's convenient! Maybe I'll try that approach if I'm ever looking for some hard-to-find plant.

12. lkailburn

lkailburn Active Member

i've always heard that fresh horseradish root is much more pleasant than anything you find in the stores. I've been curious as to it's growth behavior. Does the root itself send off runners that then become new roots? I've seen them at the local nursery in bags, they just look like shriveled up roots. If you were growing them individualy in a 4" pvc pipe what's the best you're hoping for, to just double the size of the root you buried?
    I guess what else i'm wondering is the "edible turnaround". how often would you harvest a root.

-Luke

13. elgordo

elgordo Active Member

Yes, the parent plant sends off runners which sprout the top growth, and rapidly moves on. But I can't remember what time of year is supposed to be the best time to harvest the roots; I just havested them when I needed them. Side note: while preparing the sauce, be careful: it can become very overpowering. My friends would wear a mask and goggles while doing it, but I think if you have a good cooking fan, you'll be ok.