Gooseberry advice

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by Hip, Oct 6, 2008.

1. Hip

Hip Member

Hello, I am new to this forum. I have been searching all over the internet to find the proper advice on this plant but people only offer half the advice I am looking for.

I live in a very very cold part of the country. WHY the store was selling a tropical plant, beats me! But as a noob planter I thought the 'pineapple' tasting fruit would be really cool to grow. I started it off in a small little pot and it grew extremely slow as a seedling. It took about 3 weeks just for it to hit 3 inches tall. But once it did I jumped it to a soup can and over a month it jumped to about 8 inches. Now, I have it in a medium size plastic planting pot with some pebbles and rocks scattered in the soil, to help with irrigation(someone suggested it).

It's been growing pretty fast in my window which faces the sunrise. Once a day I mix up some warm water and about 1/10th 2% milk. A friend who grows marijuana told me milk helps stem structure and growth...It hasn't had any bad side effects, so I have continued to do it. The problem is that winter is coming..Well it's getting cold already. Some nights drop to 35 degrees and at 30 degrees the plant goes into freezing and will die pretty fast. I soon hope to get a heat lamp to put over it but even then I have to worry about it getting the proper nutrition.

I looked up a bunch of different thing people do to fertalize their plants...eggshells...coffee grinds...vinegar...etc....But no one suggested mixing them all together and watering the plant with it once in a while. I was wondering if it's possible to do that? Is there bad chemical reactions if I mix all of those together in a blender with water?

I have grown obsessed with keeping this little thing alive. it's the first thing i've ever brought life to and haven't let die to miscare. I'd hate to see it fail on me now. The other day when I accidently put cold damp soil, that sat outside all night, in it's pot I freaked out and walked around the house holding it in my jacket while I ate and watched T.V lol. I'm in no rush for itto grow but I want it to grow as tall and as healthy as it can be.

So, can I mix all of those together without shocking and killing the plant? Or should I stick to it's milk/water mix and hope for the best in the dead of winter.

2. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

I am wondering if you have a real gooseberry plant (Ribes sp.), seen here:
    http://www.gardeninggonewild.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/07/gooseberry-hinnomaki-red-2-july-4-07.JPG

or a Cape gooseberry (Physalis sp.)
    http://www.tropicalfruitandveg.co.uk/images/physalis.jpg

They are very different things. The first would be a perennial, but the second would be grown as a garden annual for you.

Either would grow well with ordinary soil and fertilizer. I don't know about the milk. I have heard of people giving dilute milk to plants before. Egg shells, coffee grounds and other wastes can be used as fertilizers, but are usually composted first. Otherwise they are decomposing in the soil, possibly introducing disease and even using up available nitrogen. For a beginner, I would recommend you just buy some good potting soil and an all purpose plant food from the local garden centre.

3. Hip

Hip Member

It's a Cape Gooseberry. I was considering just buying some plant food for it but I wanted to try the oldschool way before all of the technology and stuff came about.

I was actually going to get nice potting soil for it but the more I researched; the more it seemed unneccesary. It says that it's natural habbitat is just sand/dirt...nothing fancy and it's pretty much a loner-type plant. It doesn't require a lot of upkeep or care. And for irrigation, just to toss rocks in the sand/dirt.

Right now I'm using a knockoff brand 'Miracle Grow' potting soil with small to medium sized pebbles in the soil. The idea of spraying it or using some processed plant food on it seems so fake and unnatural to me but maybe I should consider it x_x

4. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

The Cape gooseberry or Physalis sp. is a close relative of the tomato and can be treated much the same way in the garden. Physalis are usually grown as annuals in northern gardens--they can be planted from seed. The annual North American Physalis virginiana is often grown, but tropical types can be grown as well. I have taken cuttings and overwintered plants of the tropical species indoors for spring planting.

There are organic/natural fertilizers available--composted manures and such. These are good and for a beginner easier than making your own. I surely would not discourage you from making your own, more just concerned about adding uncomposted materials to your soil as that can cause problems.

I grew up with this fruit. My mother was famous for her ground cherry pies (made from Physalis virginiana.)

5. Lysichiton

Lysichiton Active Member

...borrow a grow lamp from your friend. That'll keep it bright & warm in the winter. Just don't smoke the Gooseberries...make pies as suggested. You may confuse the local law enforcement agencies, however if you grow a lot of them.

gb