Grape vines for wine

Discussion in 'Grapes and Grape Vines' started by Unregistered, Apr 12, 2005.

1. Hello,
    I'm about to move to a place with a big yard in Pitt Meadows, BC and I want to plant some grape vines for winemaking.
    I found 4 varieties in a garden centre in Langley (BC): Gamay, Gewurstraminer, Foch and Ehrenfelser.
    Do you think that these varieties will grow all right in Pitt Meadows?
    I want to get a some red grapes vines that will grow well, the problem is that I don't know were to get them in the Lower Mainland. I called a lot of garden centres and nurseries and they only seem to carry seedless or concord table grapes. Could you recomend somebody who carries grape stocks for wine making?
    Thanks a lot!
    email

2. Ralph Walton

Ralph Walton Active Member 10 Years

These should all do OK in your area. None will have hardiness issues. Foch is early, best grafted if your soil is at all heavy. Gamay - well, which one is one question; there are at least 3 quite different varieties all called Gamay. All are early ripening. Gewurzt is a mid season grape, still OK, but not in a bad year. Try a near cross called Traminette if you can find it. Ehrenfelser is earlyish, similar to Kerner or Muller-Thurgau, very popular in the Okanagan; either Kerner or M-T would be better in Pitt Meadows.
    Try www.fragrantflora.com for started plants, red white or table.
    I'd like to help you, but we are at least 2 years away from sellable vines.
    Ralph