Need growing tips for acer japonicum

Discussion in 'Maples' started by kaydye, Jun 19, 2008.

1. kaydye

kaydye Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

Okay, I am on a quest. I have killed two acer japonicums aconitifoliums and I'm not sure why. The first one I had did beautifully, but it was growing too fast. It was in a kind of dry situation and got morning light. I felt like it was reaching for the light so I moved it into a sunnier location and it leafed out fine, but then died over the next two years in parts, like v. wilt.

Bought a new one and planted it in a new location. It looked very healthy over the summer and in spring the buds looked promising, but it hasn't budded out and now the stems look black, so I'm sure it's toast. This location was probably wetter. Do japonicums like a drier soil? They are rated for zone 5, right? I have a Green Cascade that is in a drier location and it's doing great and has come through two winters now with no dieback. The thing I notice about the aconitifoliums is that the buds seem to swell early in the spring. Is that the problem, is it susceptable to early spring cold? I am tempted to get another, actually I did get another japonicum, but it is Otaki. So before I plant it maybe someone has some thoughts about what I can do to make sure I have success. If you have anything you noticed about aconitifolium I'd like to hear it, too, I love it and would be tempted to get another (how does it go...I have to kill it three times before I give up?) if I could figure out what I'm doing wrong.
    Thanks for any input.
    Kay

2. alex66

alex66 Rising Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

hi Kay i have Aconitifolium,Ohgi no sen,Vitifolium,this maples growing good in italian climate,my soil is with PH neutral ;aconitifolium grown in shade under the big italian pinus,around the trunk have pine cone and dry pinus leaves..
    ciao

3. Gomero

Gomero Well-Known Member Maple Society 10 Years

Kay,

I'll pitch in on your inquiry.

I have not seen any significant differences on growing requirements between japonicums and green palmatums in my location. If anything I can mention that japonicums seem to be less affected by pseudomonas in the Spring and consistently display less dieback than palmatums. This is just my experience.
    My bet, in your case, is that you have been unlucky.

Gomero

4. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Kay,

Not wanting to leave out any European, I'll chip in too. I agree with Gomero, easier plants than palmatums. But sensitive to wet as you've found out, they like a spot that stays a little dry over the winter.

Keep trying. That's what I do with certain maples. I'm convinced I'll succeed one day... ;)

-E

5. bigjohn33

bigjohn33 Active Member

i lost a vitifolium because of pseudomonas this early spring
    by the way my aconitfolium and itaya meigetsu seems ok
    they can stand in full here without burning

the itaya meigetsu has the best autumn colors i have ever seen!
    good luck

6. whis4ey

whis4ey Well-Known Member 10 Years

My aconitifolium is in a slightly wetter position than my other trees and has thrived well :)