transplant mature grape vine

Discussion in 'Grapes and Grape Vines' started by jonathan s, Jun 24, 2008.

1. jonathan s

jonathan s Member

i am renovating a house and i need to transplant the grapevines, or they will end up in my living room.the base thickness is about 4 inches in diameter at the main trunk.
    i dont know how old they are , but i do know that the guy i bought the house from has been making wine from them for years.
    also, i wont be ready to replant it for at least another year.
    is this at all possible?
    p.s. i also have a couple small fig trees(same deal)
    thanx
    john

2. Czvp

Czvp Active Member

with a vine that old i would wait until its completely dormant, december or january. get the smallest shovel you can find, maybe a spoon and try to get as much root as possible ( a couple feet ). plant it in high quality soil in a 5 gallon bucket and i believe it will last in that bucket a year while you wait. but the mainly you want to be gentle digging the roots and with a spoon you wont snap the roots.

3. Martti

Martti Member

I'm in the same situation. I dug up a grape vine (presumably during dormancy because it had no foilage) and much of its root system and repotted it in a cooler. It has two new shoots with leaves growing from it now, so you should be okay. Just dig up as much root system as you desire but not too little. I know for a fact that I cut at least a foot of main root off. Yikes, I know, but I was relieved when I saw the new shoots. About the fig tree, I'm not sure. My question is of maintanence. When I dug up the vine, it was a mere L-shaped stick with roots connected to the bottom portion of course. With these new shoots, how to I do train them to grow upwards? Should I cut the old vertical part of the L-shape off or what?

4. Allison Rose Vineyards

Allison Rose Vineyards Member

If you have an excavator you might get the roots out. That is a big vine. With a year you could take some cuttings and root them with much less work. Your not likely to get that big beautiful vine replanted in the same condition, although with enough effort it can be done. You have a lot better chance when the vine is dormant in late winter. This takes advantage of natural growth triggers and optimal temperature/moisture factors.

5. JennifersBar

JennifersBar New Member

I just dug up mine and have to plant it in a pot as I don't have a spot for it yet. I am hoping it will do fine. Maybe some bone meal might help it. When should we feed them or should we?

6. Delvi83

Delvi83 Active Member

Remove the plant only when dormant, but before the soil is frozen. Remove as roots as you can, dig a very deep hole and put the soil-roots-grape into a very large pot....plant it in the ground before plant will restard growing :)