Sourcing kaffir limes in Canada

Discussion in 'Citrus' started by Sally G., May 11, 2006.

1. Sally G.

Sally G. Member

Is there anywhere in Canada that you can buy kaffir lime trees-on-line?

2. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

You'll find some sources in [thread=8190]this[/thread] long thread. You may also want to check with Richmond Nursery.

3. ophelia

ophelia Member

I've been trying to find a source for this plant, also. I have checked with all the sources that are in that "this" link, the one place, Tom's Tangerine or whatever is now a Janitorial supply place, so that isn't going to work for me!

If anyone has any leads, could you please post them?

Thanks,
    ophelia

4. Junglekeeper

Ask to speak with Tom when you call; the number is shared between his businesses. However I was told recently that he no longer sells trees. Perhaps you could provide an update on the situation.

Flora Exotica - one of the sources in the aforementioned thread - still lists kaffir lime on its website. You may want to verify that they are not seedling trees.

In some cases the lime leaves at the market are shipped with the stem still attached and are then detached locally for packaging. If you can get a hold of these cuttings, with leaves still attached, you could try rooting them. However I've found that it is very difficult to do. Talk to your local dealer and see if they will sell you the intact cuttings.

5. ophelia

ophelia Member

thanks, junglekeeper, for the info. as i live on one of the islands, there is no 'local' source, the closest source I can find for the kaffir lime leaves product is in Surrey, and the website of the company doesn't even list it as one of their products...(though I did buy some in a clam-shell package at a local grocery store). If anyone reading this is willing to help me out with a clipping, I'd be most greatful.
    I can't seem to get the search engine on Flora Exotica to work for me...I'll have to email them, if I can. Meanwhile, I will hound my local nurseries, to order one in for me. (This could take a year or so, I gather!)
    thanks again.

6. Junglekeeper

I suggest you contact South China Seas Trading Co.. It was at their Granville Island store that I witnessed the 'processing' of the leaves. They also sell the limes if you're interested in growing a tree from seed. However seedlings will not be true to type.

7. ophelia

ophelia Member

junglekeeper: you are amazing. thanks for all the info. I did manage to speak with "Tom" yesterday...quite the dude. He's just Safer soaped all of his citrus trees and they are, apparently in 'shock', so I will contact him in about a month to see if they have recovered. Thanks for the link to the suppliers of leaves -- when you say a plant from a seed will not be true to type, does that mean the leaves will not be useful for my next batch of Laab Gai? Or just that I won't get fruit--which I'm not terribly interested in anyway...
    Thanks again for providing such quick responses and for all the help you're giving me tracking down what I'm after. You mainlanders...it's not so easy for islanders to just drop by Granville Market, tg for the web.

ophelia

Last edited: Apr 18, 2007
  8. Junglekeeper

From what you're saying it sounds like Tom is still in the business but is on hold while the pests are being dealt with. Would you agree?

You'll likely end up with something close to the parent. I suppose it matters less when you're only concerned with the leaves. Seedling trees will not bear fruit until they reach maturity which could be in many years. The seedlings I had certainly looked and smelled like kaffir lime; I didn't try to taste the leaves though.

You may not have to. According to the company's website,

9. ophelia

ophelia Member

well...this past week, I finally made it to Granville Island, and have purchased some of the fruits. Now I will harvest the seeds, dry them, and set 'em into pots.
    hopefully....

ophelia

10. Junglekeeper

The seeds should be cleaned and planted fresh rather than being first allowed to dry. You may have better success that way.

11. ophelia

ophelia Member

thanks junglekeeper. the limes are still intact in my fridge, so I haven't blown it....yet....
    :-)