Yellow brugs

Discussion in 'Annuals, Biennials, Perennials, Ferns and Bulbs' started by soccerdad, Jul 23, 2009.

1. soccerdad

soccerdad Active Member 10 Years

I have two brugmansias that I bought last spring. Right now they are about 4' tall.

They are in full sun.

I keep them well watered and well fertilized.

But their leaves are almost all completely yellow.

Any ideas why?

2. joclyn

joclyn Rising Contributor

are they in containers or directly in the ground? what is the composition of the soil?

i'm new to brugs (so, still learning myself) and mine are in pots...they do not get full sun all day long - just for part of the day, a southern exposure, so it's not the harsh afternoon sun.

i don't think they are something for full-sun. so that might be the problem.

could also be not enough water.

can you post some pics?? did you look for spider mites?? well, lol, you can't see them because they're so tiny...they leave little wispy webs at the tops of plants where the new growth comes in.

3. soccerdad

We have a new camera but only my kids are smart enough to put the pics on the computer. And they are teenagers and so only spend brief moments at home between parties. I'll see what i can do.

4. Charles Richard

Charles Richard Active Member 10 Years

I have been hesitant to reply about yellowing brugs as I started some cuttings for friends and two of them have commented to me about them being yellow.
    Two of the cuttings, one of which I gave away a month ago and the other just within the week. The one a friend took a month is yellow, but the one I had at home was perfectly green as are all of the ones we have.
    Both of the ones that are yellow are in full sun all day. I quess possibly, the conditions with the full sun here is that it is dry, hot and without the humidity where they might grow natively? Going to tell my friend to try them with only early morning sun or late afternoon.
    I was thinking of other reasons, ie: soil, fertilizer, etc.
    Interesting website, I love it for the just the informative feeback.

5. joclyn

being put in too much sun after being in more shaded conditions will cause a problem for most any plant...even if they can deal with full sun, they need an adjustment period to adapt from less to more.

charles, since it happened more than once and at two different times and yours are fine, it sounds like the cuttings you gave away weren't given the opportunity to properly adjust to the different conditions. if they put the plants in shadier spots for a week or so, they should rebound...then they can gradually move them to sunnier spots (over the course of a week or so) and they should be fine. it could be a matter of not enough water, though, too. brugs definitely need consistant moisture.

soccordad, you didn't say if they are in pots or not. i'll assume they are since you've had them since last year and they wouldn't be hardy in your location. could be a combination of too much sun (has it been overly sunny where you are lately? ) added to not enough watering. if it's been hotter than usual, the soil in the containers will dry out a bit more quickly than you'd expect.

if the leaves aren't dropping off, then water wouldn't/shouldn't be the main issue...too much sun would be.

6. soccerdad

They are in pots

They get lots of water.

I had them in an area where they got sun until about 1 pm, but everyone told me, and all web sites said, that they wanted full sun, so I moved them to their current area where they get sun till about 5 pm.

I suspect that the problem is simply that they weren't ready for full sun.

I have never understood how one can get plants ready for it. I have three areas - no sun ever, sun to 1 pm, sun all day - and so plants must move directly from the second of these to the last of them; I have a job and so cannot shift their locations during the day.

7. joclyn

put the pots in location and put up large pieces of cardboard around them, then, over the course a week/10 days, move the cardboard so that the plants are in full sun. or use the umbrella from your table - if you have one.

if neither is feasible, move the plants to the very edge of the sunny area and then gradually, every few days, move them to the spot you really want them in.

did you allow them to go dormant over winter?

if you did that last year, you may want to do it different this. if you have a spot inside the house that is very bright, leave them there over winter and then bring outside as soon as the weather is warm enough...put them in that part-sunny spot for a couple weeks and then do the move to the full-sun spot.