Beet disease on leaves?

Discussion in 'Garden Pest Management and Identification' started by ascariss, Jul 1, 2008.

1. ascariss

ascariss Member

Hello, have some beets growing, but some of the leaves are developing spots and weird blotches on them. My guess it is Cercospora leaf spot, but I'd rather have a second opinion. My guess it is being transferred via aphids? since the roses had this similar like leaf spot the previous year, but as far as I know the leaf spots in roses, at least the ones I had were from a fungus. Any help would be appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. pierrot

pierrot Active Member 10 Years

ascariss

looks like leaf miner damage.

pull apart the damaged areas and see if it looks like something has eaten the inside and left the outside skin.

the best methof of eradication is to pull off those leaves and let the plant recover

doubt it is cercospora as that is a definite "eye spot disease" that looks like a bulls eye ring
    http://images.google.ca/images?q=ce...GB:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&sa=N&tab=wi

3. ascariss

ascariss Member

thanks for the information pierrot, will check it later when the sun goes does to see if the inside is still there or not.

edit. yup it is leaf miner damage, the inside of the leaf is hollow.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2008
  4. ascariss

ascariss Member

I found the small larvae in the leaves today, so that confirms it was a leaf miner, any idea how I can get rid of them? or at least control them?

5. pierrot

pierrot Active Member 10 Years

ascariss

just pull off the eaten parts and the plant will recover. as the insect is inside the leaf there is no spray you can use. the leaf epidermis will protect them from a topical spray and well a systemic (internals) spray is not economically worth it and it wil poison the plant rendering it inedible

Hope this helps