Identification: some kind of tropical tree?

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by siguresen, Nov 11, 2008.

1. siguresen

siguresen Member

i found this tree - potless, roots out - on the curb a few weeks ago.. and took it home. now a few weeks later, all of a sudden, leaves are spotted, yellow and falling off. i'm not sure exactly what it is, and so have no idea what i should be doing for it.. help! what is this?
    tree is about 5 feet tall. leaves grow to a length of about 10 inches. pics of the trunk (smooth-ish) are attached..

Attached Files:

2. Chester

Chester Active Member 10 Years

Looks like some kind of euphorbia? Anyone else?

3. saltcedar

saltcedar Rising Contributor 10 Years

Frangipani going dormant. Don't do anything to it till it resprouts.

HTH
    Chris

4. siguresen

siguresen Member

thanks, chris, i think you might be right - any suggestions for me? never met a frangipani, before this one. i'm not sure quite what they require in the way of soil/light/temp/moisture/?

5. joclyn

joclyn Rising Contributor

6. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

Yup, that's a Frangipani all right. Be cautious around the sap, as it's toxic.

7. sunnycharacter

sunnycharacter Member

Frangipani (Plumeria) for sure. It's the beautiful tropical tree grown on the islands, very fragrant and used for Hawaiian leis! Related to the Oleander. I see you're in Wisconsin. Keep it in a pot (Google Plumeria care) in the cool season. DON'T water it in the winter, MAYBE a small sip every couple of weeks. That's quite a large specimin, you luck duck! Keep it in as much sun as possible for flowering and feed it a bloom bursting fertilizer every couple of weeks during it's peak time from say about April on, for your area. I wish someone would throw something out like that around here. Maybe some lady got mad at her husband for paying more attention to his plants that her! Just kidding.