Lamb's Ears (Stachys byzantina)

Discussion in 'Annuals, Biennials, Perennials, Ferns and Bulbs' started by Durgan, May 12, 2009.

1. Durgan

Durgan Contributor 10 Years

Lamb's Ears (Stachys byzantina)

http://www.durgan.org/URL/?Lambs 12 May 2009 Lamb's Ears (Stachys byzantina)
    This plant is grown for the flowers, which are a bee magnet. These plants are perennials and survived the Winter. In some climates the plant can be invasive. Mine does get larger each year, but I find it easy to contain to its allotted space.

2. susanmorris

susanmorris Member

Hi Durgan;

I just took a cutting of these from my neighbours garden--she called them 'rabbits ears' though LOL! Hers have surely taken over her garden, but she doesn't seem to mind.

I have transplanted them near my patio, where my children spend a lot of time in the summer. However, my daughter is terrified of bees, so clearly this wasnt the best place for them.

Is it possible to move them again, or will cause to much trama to the plant?

3. kaspian

kaspian Active Member 10 Years

They're pretty tough -- you should be able to move them, divide them, and abuse them in many ways, and they will still carry on.

There's also a non-flowering variety available from online vendors which would avoid the bee problem. I would miss the flowers, though.

4. janetdoyle

janetdoyle Active Member 10 Years

Victoria [Saanich, actually, northeast of Victoria
    The soft fuzzy leaves would interest children -- the later summer flowers, which transform the plant into tall thin stems rising up from the foliage with a bright purple cornflower-like flower on them are charming and don't attract any more bees than any bright flower -- the average garden bee is something a child can and should learn to get along with if they agree to share the space with respect -- i.e. don't go waving arms around etc.

5. Durgan

Durgan Contributor 10 Years

http://www.durgan.org/URL/?LambF 18 June 2009 Lamb's Ears (Stachys byzantina)
    The flowering stalks are forming. The plants are not covered with bees, since the weather is cold.