Kiwi leaves curling

Discussion in 'Vines and Climbers' started by kiwiperson, Aug 12, 2006.

1. kiwiperson

kiwiperson Member

I planted this kiwi from a seed out of one from the supermarket earlier this year. It's been doing great except lately the bottommost leaves have been curling and a couple drying brown at the edges but the newer ones seem unaffected. It does have fungus gnats i'm dealing with them, note the paper covering the soil. I water it every day and it sits either on my desk or in my south-facing windowsill.
    What is causing the leaves to curl? time for a bigger pot maybe, more/less fertilizer, watering?

Attached Files:

2. marnie Leake

marnie Leake Member

Being a REAL kiwiperson, and having grown up with kiwifruit, I think you are definitely watering the plant too much, hence the fungus gnats too. The plant you have grown is a beauty...I'd guess a large fruited variety, not the ones usually found in stores in Canada..
    Good luck growing the big beauty, and not so much water!!! Let the soil dry out before watering again.
    I wonder what you're going to do in the winter. They are deciduous at home, and need their dormant time.
    ML

3. kiwiperson

kiwiperson Member

Thanks for the reply Marnie I'll definitely slow down on the watering. The reason I've been watering it so much is because I read online they like lots of sun except whenever I'd put it in my windowsill the top would wilt over so I assumed the plant needed more water. It's now in semi-shade near the window. Yeah the plant does have very beautiful leaves especially in the morning when the light shines through :) What you said about them being deciduous...that means the leaves will fall off unless I put the plant outside to be dormant? or does it need to go outside?
    Caitlin

4. marnie Leake

marnie Leake Member

Hi again. I am guessing you are in Vancouver, and would suggest you contact your nearest plant nursery to find out about winter care.
    Thanx,
    Marnie.