Windmill palm storage in winter in YVR

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by vicarious1, Oct 25, 2014.

1. vicarious1

vicarious1 Active Member 10 Years

Burnaby North on a slope facing south & a view :-)
    Hi I have a small Windmill palm that did quite well this summer. How to save it this winter. Last winter it was in our green house that is NOT heated. But now the leaves are to large ..what to do ..I have a small full south facing window in our NOT heated garage I have NO space in the house and a covered but fully open Gazebo or a covered Patio on the north.
    WHAT Is the best way so keep it alive. I have been told it must be at least five year old before it can survive planted in the soil in the garden. It's about two feet tall now.

Thanks for any Vancouver input

I added a pic of my Japanese Cycad that I have the same questions for (last winter all center leaves turned yellow leaves INSIDE the green house)
    How to avoid that to repeat itself ?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 25, 2014
  2. pmurphy

pmurphy Contributor 10 Years

The palm does not require heat for the winter and should survive without issue outside (barring any unusual winter weather). If you keep it outside for the winter make sure you protect the pot in order to protect the roots because they are exposed 360 degrees in a pot. Put it in the greenhouse if you wish, or leave it outside (if it is really small, find a sheltered area against the house), just keep the roots from freezing (pile mulch around the pot).
    However, at 2ft it should be ok in the ground.......I would put it in the ground in spring with good drainage.

As for the cycad you can put it in the greenhouse or in a protected area outside (don't let it get too wet or it'll rot) and again, protect the roots

3. vicarious1

vicarious1 Active Member 10 Years

Burnaby North on a slope facing south & a view :-)
    Hi thank you for taking the time to write. I got his reply from the Palm societey
    xxx copy paste xxx
    Hi Vic,

You are correct that your tree fern is an Australian tree fern but it is not Dicksonia antarctica. The Australian tree fern is called Cyathea cooperi.

The Dicksonia antarctica also actually called the Tazmanian tree fern.

It is very common for nurseries to misname these two plants as they seldom know the diffference.

Unfortunately, while Dicksonia antarctica is actually fairly hardy and will take quite a lot of frost, the tree you purchased is not at all hardy in the Pacific Northwest.
    It will likely totally defoliate when the temperature gets below -2C but may regrow new fronds the following spring.

Dicksonia antarctica on the other hand does quite well in much of the Pacific NW with minimal winter protection. (No winter protection at all needed in some areas of downtown Vancouver)

If you were sold the plant as Dicksonia antarctica and wanted a hardier tree fern than the Australian tree fern you got, you may be able to return the plant to Garden Works or exchange it for the hardier species.

Cheers

Charlie W

Thank you both for steering me in a safe keeping our fern.