Beeches: Fagus sylvatica

Discussion in 'Fagaceae (beeches, oaks, etc.)' started by wmitz, Oct 23, 2008.

1. wmitz

wmitz Member

Hi, we are very interested in purchasing a European Beech tree for our yard here in northern Maryland. However, I'm having a hard time finding any local or even online nurseries that sell these trees. We currently have a nice big one, and I wonder how easy it is to take a small branch and propagate a new tree. Of course since we'd like to start with a larger size, it would be much better to find a larger one from some commercial nursery.

Thanks for any information!
    -wayne

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

These are grown either from seed or by grafting. They are slow-growing but grow huge in time, except when less vigorous cultivars are planted. Most of the commonly sold kinds are large-growing.

3. wmitz

wmitz Member

Thanks for the quick reply. I know there are some nurseries that occasionally have them, and I'm still hopeful of finding one that maybe can ship to me.
    -wayne

4. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Try your local native American Beech Fagus grandifolia instead? It looks just as good.

5. wmitz

wmitz Member

Yes, thanks. But it is also not widely available in nurseries. I'd use it if I could find one, even though it grows more slowly than the european beech. It also my not like the full sun as much as its european cousin.
    wayne