Weed Identification

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by LawnBoy, Jun 14, 2008.

1. LawnBoy

LawnBoy Member

I live in Toronto, Canada an have been landscaping for 9 months. I would appreciate it if someone could direct me to a website that displays photos and names of common weeds in garden beds in my region. I am very enthusiastic about my new career and would love to familiarize myself with everything. Thanks alot for your time, it is greatly appreciated.

2. Lysichiton

Lysichiton Active Member

Here you go:

http://www.omafra.gov.on.ca/english/crops/facts/ontweeds/weedgal.htm

There's a number of sites I found with a basic search. May be hard to sort out your particular nemeses from these long lists tho'.

You know, there are usually a few weeds that are real pests in a given area & some others that can be tolerated till you get more fussy. Other gardeners were my best resource when when I couldn't tell a weed from a wegetable. Perhaps you could join the local garden club &/or talk to the guy up the road who has a garden you admire. There's always one around-you just say "I love your garden"- It's easier than dating-chances are you'll be in like flint(where does that phrase come from anyway?). My experience is that visiting other people's gardens & asking questions (dumb or not) is a good thing. Gardeners share lots of info freely - I think some plant people may be a wee bit obssesive & many are extremely well informed in their particular areas of interest.

gb.

3. LawnBoy

LawnBoy Member

Thanks very much for the terrific website. There are many gardens I admire, problem is they are gardens I maintain. It wouldn't look very good if the "professional" was asking the customer about garden care lol.

And I believe the saying refers to the ever-popular Larry Flynt.

4. Lysichiton

Lysichiton Active Member

...well how was I to know? Perhaps you could contact the local garden club & offer to give a talk -they're always looking for speakers. I wonder if that constitutes a graceful recovery? :)

gb.