needs of a Norfolk Island pine

Discussion in 'Araucariaceae' started by gahardy, Jul 7, 2009.

1. gahardy

gahardy Member

Oh, and can anyone tell me the needs of a Norfolk Island Pine? I have read so many conflicting ideas on what makes them comfortable. Except where I have sunblasters mounted for the smaller plants my apt. is quite dim (it is a basement) and warm (all the aquariums)

2. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

Re: Looking for help with identification please

For me, Norfolk Pines go in full sun but sheltered from the wind until they're at least 8' tall. Then again, as I have no winter you should probably ignore me.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2009
  3. James D.

James D. Active Member

Re: Looking for help with identification please

For Norfolk pines, I keep mine in a north-east facing window inside in the winter and water it well when it drys out. i only fertilize in the spring and summer and also only about once a month. They can be kept potbound if you want to keep it small, or pot it up as soon as the roots fill the pot to get a large specimen tree. Never let it dryout completely, or if it does not for too long. The needles will dry and not come back. They do not like to be pruned, s when it hits the ceiling try to find a nice new home for it ( office building,greenhouse,school,etc..) Hope this helps, I have 6 right now all in different heights, if you need more help let me know.