Petals falling - cause for concern?

Discussion in 'Citrus' started by aesir22, Aug 28, 2008.

1. aesir22

aesir22 Active Member

My calamondin is flowering again at the moment, but I have some concerns. The petals are falling off quite easily, even when i spray the plant the petals sometimes come off! The rest of the bloom is fine, firmly attached, its just the delicate little white petals that keep going astray. I water it very carefully, though the last 3 times i have not used fertilizer as there was a white salt residue on the terracotta pot, so i have watered without in the hopes of flushing the soil. it is in a south facing window in NE uk so it recieves good sun but not piercing sun. i mist it 3-4 times throughout the day.

Any thoughts? thank you :D

2. skeeterbug

skeeterbug Active Member

Misting is not usually necessary for citrus and if your water has too much salt it can be detrimental. If you are trying to raise the humidity, sitting the plant on a tray of gravel with water is a better way (just make sure the water does not get into the pot).

The petals of citrus flowers do not last very long and ultimately only about 1-2% of the flowers will turn into fruit.

3. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

The flowers on mine don't last very long either but the tree has no problem forming fruit. I don't think it's a cause for concern.

4. aesir22

aesir22 Active Member

glad to hear! one of the flowers turned to fruit a few months back, and two more, where the petals have gone, have little green pea-sized fruits forming within the bloom. very satisfying :) i just wanted to make sure it wasnt due to lack of fertilizers or any nutrients that may be lacking. the white reside isnt so obvious on the pot after the most recent watering - i may water once more with normal water, then start using low doses of fertilizer again afterwards :D

thanks for the help :D

5. drichard12

drichard12 Active Member 10 Years

aesir22. Junglekeeper posting is one that I support. Dale