Fig tree

Discussion in 'Fruit and Nut Trees' started by ffh2000, Mar 24, 2013.

1. ffh2000

ffh2000 Member

I live in NJ and have a fig tree for over 20 years. Most years the figs will come out in aug/sept and by the end of nov will only be the size of the thumb, but not grown or ripe enough to eat. In the past few years, there is no fruit at all but the fig tree itself grows like a jungle. What could be the reason?
    Thanks
    Frankl

2. Tree Nut

Tree Nut Active Member

Have you restricted its roots? Figs bear better if their roots are contained.

3. ffh2000

ffh2000 Member

No. I poured a bag of lime on it some years ago because a friend said the fig needed that. How do you restrict the root?
    Thanks
    Frank

4. woodschmoe

woodschmoe Active Member 10 Years

Do you prune it? Reason I ask: the crop you describe, which never ripens, is the main crop. Nobody in the northern latitudes ripens this crop without extending the season via glasshouse, etc. (though there are at least a couple of varieties out there which-allegedly-can ripen the main crop in the north). In your situation/location, you are aiming for an earlier harvest, called the 'breba' crop, that forms on last season's wood and ripens in the summer. If you prune off the previous year's growth, you also prune off most/all of the breba crop, and the tiny figs that follow are the main crop growing on new wood, which as mentioned won't ripen for you.

Also hold off on fertilizer, if you've been using it: you'll get lush growth as described at the expense of fruit. But the total lack of a breba crop makes pruning a likely culprit.

5. ffh2000

ffh2000 Member

I do not prune. Some people are able to get the first crop at the end of Jul in our area but I have only got this once in 25 years. Recently years, there is no fig at all but lots of leaves and growth.