Desperatly seeking Reine Claude and Mirabelle...

Discussion in 'Fruit and Nut Trees' started by dominique nonnon, Mar 27, 2008.

1. dominique nonnon

dominique nonnon Member

I have been looking for quite some time for a Reine Claude doree and a mirabelles de nancy tree. I even try to import them from France but our borders are closed to plum trees. Is it hopeless? There are some excellent plums out there, why are we limited to green gages (They are a strain of Reine Claude vertes, not very good) and italians?
    I am thinking of bringing some stones from France on my next trip but straight from the seed and without grafting it will take an eternity if they ever make it to maturity.
    Is there anybody out here in Vancouver with those trees in their garden?

http://www.about-garden.com/a/en/3297-prunus-domestica-reine-claude-doree-plum-tree/

Thanks!
    Dominique

2. jascha

jascha Active Member

The restrictions in place are to prevent the spread of the Plum Pox Virus (PPV) which has had devastating effects on the European production of plums, apricots, and peaches. Any living tissue of the affected species is restricted, including fruit and seed.

If you cannot find the varieties you are looking for in Canada, I would first turn to looking in the US. The restrictions may not be as strict for import from some areas. If you have to import from France, there are still processes in place that allow you to import them safely into Canada. It involves acquiring an import permit from the CFIA and having the plant material shipped to one of their quarantine centres for analysis. If the plant is disease free, you can expect to have your plant material released to you within two years of importing it. If it is not disease free, they will have to use heat therapy, micro-grafting, and retesting in order to clean it of any viruses. This process can take several growing seasons to complete.

I wouldn't recommend that you circumvent the process. You could be subject to hefty fines, prosecution, and have all of your plants and soil confiscated. In addition, you could end up being solely responsible for a great deal of harm to the fruit growing industry in BC...and who wants that on their conscience?

3. dominique nonnon

dominique nonnon Member

I work for the CFIA... So I went to the plant department. It is believed that Plum Pox is transferable by seed. Darn. I learned by the same person that Belgium is not on the list of Pox infested countries. I have familly in Belgium so I might be able to do something, even import the trees.
    Thanks for pointing that to me!
    Dominique

4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

5. dominique nonnon

dominique nonnon Member

I heard a lot of good about that book but it's from 1998... Finding sources for those trees in Europe is very easy. It's finding them here in Canada that's impossible. I am still looking for a local source though.
    Thanks
    Dominique

6. dominique nonnon

dominique nonnon Member

I found a "Reine Cloude" at Henry Leuthard nurseries but I am afraid this is a regular green gage, closely related but not even close in taste. Most of the states are touched by the pox. Looks like RainTree has some Mirabelle de Nancy I will enquire tomorrow in the Plant Health department about Washington state.
    Thanks a lot.
    Dominique

7. Ron B

The description of 'Mirabelle' at the Leuthardt site I linked to is

MIRABELLE - In Europe, especially in France, this plum is much grown and highly esteemed. Its fruits are used in tarts, compotes, and for canning. The small round yellow fruits are attractive in appearance and sweet and pleasant in flavor - one which is unique and not approached by any other plum. Flesh is firm, tender, mild, good to very good. Ripens end of August

You think this is 'Green Gage'?

8. dominique nonnon

dominique nonnon Member

I was talking about the "Reine Cloude" which, I guess is a typo of Reine Claude. Green Gage is the british strain of Reine Claude. The Mirabelles are entirely differents.
    Zboubi.

9. Ron B

I see that now, I read one and thought of the other - probably didn't see the 'Reine Claude' listed on that site and therefore thought you were talking about their listing of 'Mirabelle'.

10. northerngrapes

northerngrapes Active Member

If you check with the Canadian Clonal Genebank in Harrow they may have it or try
    PICO up at Summerland Research Station. Let me know how you make out.

Cheers
    Kim Maser
    Canadian Sources Consultant
    www.nafex.org

11. jascha

jascha Active Member

I don't know if this helps or not, but GardenWorks Burnaby (main store) has "Mirabelle" plums. Not sure if they are the exact Mirabelle that you are looking for or not.

12. dominique nonnon

dominique nonnon Member

I did a request for it on their website. I cross my fingers, let's hope it's the one I am looking for!
    Thanks a lot.

13. dominique nonnon

dominique nonnon Member

Kim,
    Thanks for those tips, I will enquire as well but I doubt those research centers sell cultivars to the Public. I would be curious to see if those plums trees are in canada though. I will enquire and let you know the answer I got.
    Thanks!

14. Ottawa-Zone5

Ottawa-Zone5 Active Member

15. dominique nonnon

dominique nonnon Member

Jascha, I just bought a mirabelle tree at Garden Works today. They had very little info on the origin of the type. It is a small, yellow, free stone plum. Looks a lot like the Mirabelle de Nancy. I'll just cross my fingers and wait for my first harvest.
    Still no sign of a Reine Claude, but I saw something very similar called "Reine de Mirabelle" at Raintree Nurseries in the States. Looks a lot like the "Reine Claude Crottee" to me! With some luck it will be in Canada soon.
    Thanks a lot everybody!

16. jascha

jascha Active Member

Was there a tag from the nursery that propagated the tree? You might be able to look them up and give them a call. I had to do this for one of my trees last year that was produced by Biringer Nurseries in the US.

17. readrobread

readrobread Member

Hi Dominquw,

I hope you found suitable Reine Claude, and that the Mirabelle came out well.

Though it would be a long ways to ship, I recently found both these in Quebec at http://www.pepiniereancestrale.com/index.php/nos-arbres/prunier.html

I would imagine, based on their being in Quebec, that the Reine Claude is the real one, and not a sub-par greengage.

Hope that helps,

Rob

18. voony

voony Member

I am also desperately seeking to plant a Mirabelle tree ( Prunus domestica syriaca). and wonder to know where than can be found in BC.

(Pepiniere ancestrale doesn't ship to BC, and is out of this tree for this year).

19. woodschmoe

woodschmoe Active Member 10 Years

Try Le Coteau nursery in Saanich, they sold them as of last year...

www.lecoteau.com

20. dominique nonnon

dominique nonnon Member

I got trees form the Pepiniere Ancestrale last year. They decided to stop shipping this far maybe due to the fact that my trees arrived in a rough shape...
    I have a Reine Claude Doree (they said it wasn't a Green Gage!) and I have a mirabelle too -nondescript but they assured me that the plums are delicious. (The one I got from Garden Works is an Italian plum...3 years wait ending in big disappointment!)
    I hope they survive in my garden. If they turn out to be the true thing, I am more than willing to give out seeds when I have some.
    A big thank you to all the contributors to that thread.

21. voony

voony Member

Thanks all also for the information

http://www.lecoteau.com had effectively them. They had only 2 plants (non descript) and purchased both of them (will pick it up later on, when I will get a chance to go on the island).

http://www.gardenworks.ca insured me they never carried this variety (mirabelle), so your information, Dominique, confirmed it ;)

http://www.dinternursery.ca doesn't list mirabelle on their website

http://www.pepiniereancestrale.com/ stay probably a very safe source if they agree to ship to BC (will see next year)

Though, both pepiniere ancestrale and lecoteau list their mirabelle trees as self-fertile what is eventually a source of concern (usually good Mirabelle variety, like the Mirabelle of Nancy are not self fertile)...all in all it is very challenging to find good fruit trees in Canada.

22. dominique nonnon

dominique nonnon Member

Pepiniere Ancestrale ship in Octobre, so order early. Their Mirabelle is non descript too I only took their word that the fruits were sweet and delicious. It will be about 3 years again before I find out.

23. Stéphanie Filippi

Stéphanie Filippi New Member

Hello Dominique, I am too interested in Reine Claude and Mirabelle de Nancy trees. Were you successful with acquiring the real trees fom Pépinière Ancestrale?

We live in Niagara, Ontario. Thanks

24. dominique nonnon

dominique nonnon Member

Yes I have 2 Reine Claude trees in my garden. Got my first sizeable crop this year. Those plums are amazing. The mirabelle is not bearing fruit yet. it seem to have trouble adapting to our soil.

Stéphanie Filippi likes this.
  25. Stéphanie Filippi

Stéphanie Filippi New Member

Fantastic! Good luck with your Mirabelle trees. Hope you get a crop next year. how old are they now?