Help me identify this fruit tree

Discussion in 'Citrus' started by ashebelbon, Jan 5, 2005.

1. ashebelbon

ashebelbon Member

There are 4 of these trees planted in my yard by the previous homeowner. They are currently between 6-10 feet tall and one is producing fruit. The trunks and limbs have very large thorns. I just cut open the fruit and it looks like a grapefruit or some kind of an orange. Is that what it is?

Thanks,
    Amanda Shebelbon

Attached Files:

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Yes: Citrus of some sort. Outside appearance of fruit would suggest, of the more familiar kinds, grapefruit. What does it taste like?

3. ashebelbon

ashebelbon Member

It is a grapefruit. I was too chicken to taste it, but there's no mistaking the smell of grapefruit when I cut it open. Will all four trees produce fruit eventually?

Thanks!
    Amanda

4. ashebelbon

ashebelbon Member

I have completely ignored them for 3 years, not knowing what they were; I just thought they were 4 obnoxious thorny trees. They've survived my neglect, and despite long history of killing house plants and other various outdoor landscaping, I'm going to try to take good care of these guys. So, how do I care for my trees?

Thanks again!
    Amanda

5. Chuck White

Chuck White Active Member

If you can take or send a fruit sample to your local County Extension Office, they will identify it for you. However, it sounds to me like you have a sour orange, upon whose roots a different variety may have been grafted. If the graft union freezes, the graft will die and the sour orange root stock will immediately take over and put up new shoots. The real clue is that sour oranges have immense and sharp thorns. YOU MIGHT WANT TO HAVE NEW VARIETIES GRAFTED TO YOUR ORANGE STOCK OR JUST REMOVE THEM AND PLANT NEW.

6. Chuck White

I had to work today at the County Extension Office( University of Florida). I took the opportunity to look for your plant. It is a Trifoliata Orange (Poncirus trifoliata). It has the huge thorns and sour fruit. It is a good rootstock for "dwarfing" other species.
    Hope that helps.

7. Chuck White

After re-looking at the photo, I want to strike the trifoliata info. That doesn't work for me.

8. Laaz

Laaz Active Member 10 Years

It is a Grapefruit. The leaves are your identification. Trifoliata has tri leaves and golfball size fruit.