black spots ,Rose bush

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by GramaNanMyrt, May 20, 2012.

1. GramaNanMyrt

GramaNanMyrt Active Member

I have a rose bush that last couple years the leaves have black spots and the roses come out but are not healthy looking. I see many of the leaves are black spotted again
    what do I need to do?

2. vitog

vitog Contributor 10 Years

Try a fungicide with copper in it.

3. GramaNanMyrt

Thank you for getting back to me so quickly, I will try this out.

4. MoDirt

MoDirt Active Member

Remove clippings and fallen leaves, in fall remove all litter from specimen, plant chives, garlic or onions or all three.

Mulch the surrounding guild you have created to help reduce splashing of rain water onto foliage and try to keep pruned so that any foliage is at least 10" off the ground. Black spot can spread by water dropplets splashing on soil surface " Reduce splash back by limiting the amount of water that hits the soil directly.

The Alliums will help regulate the diversity as they are antifungal aids. Also, a good top dress with compost will re-inoculate your Roses rhizosphere and encourage soil organisms that can help reduce the populations of 'Diplocarpon rosae' the fungus that causes Black Spot.

Avoid products that hurt soil organisms like Fungicides, they kill the good guys too and leave your plants defenseless and susceptible to more attack.

Look into some companion plants to help cover the soil around your roses.

5. GramaNanMyrt

Thank you for this information, I will definitely try these suggestions, don't want to lose this beautiful yellow rose bush. Have a great day