Transplanting Bamboo Root???

Discussion in 'Poaceae' started by iluvbamboo, Nov 21, 2007.

1. iluvbamboo

iluvbamboo Member

I'm new to bamboo but love it. I have a family member who just had about 2 acres of bamboo bulldozed down. Roots are everywhere. I don't know what species of bamboo it is. The diameter is about 2" and approx. 40ft tall, it's very hardy. Could I take some of the roots and plant it on our property or would it just die? If there is a possibility it would live how should I space them? I'm looking to have a very dense privacy screen.
    Any info would be greatly appreciated.

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Take as sods, with soil on to prevent dehydration. Wait until spring if climate colder than USDA 6.

3. JCardina

JCardina Active Member

Comox, Vancouver Island, British Columbia Canada
    Someone gave me a store bought bamboo as a gift a coule of years ago, we had it in a pot for a year then planted it in a really dry sandy hump of soil in the back yard the year before last. It clung on to life despite being in full sun and dry as dust all summer. Last July I decided to move it and dug it up and discovered runners and little shoots all around the hill. I basically just hacked off any bit of root that still had a green shoot growing out of it and replanted them bare roots without any soild around them. They were bits and pieces. Every bit I planted started thriving in the newer shadier and damper locations and they are still going strong. I think a bit of root with a bit of green growing on it is all you need, they seem tough as nails.

4. growing4it

growing4it Active Member 10 Years

I have to ask why the 2 acres of bamboo were bulldozed. Are you sure you want to plant this? It's really tough kill and may cause you problems in the future.