Anyone Ready To Start Talking About Pepper Garden For 2008?

Discussion in 'Fruit and Vegetable Gardening' started by AlabamaJack, Oct 18, 2007.

1. AlabamaJack

AlabamaJack Member

I have had pretty good luck with my peppers this year and have already started ordering seeds for next years crop. I am planning on having about 60 plants next year, probably 2 plants per variety.

Anyone interested in starting a 2008 pepper discussion?

AJ

2. debtcollector

debtcollector Member

I am a novice at pepper gardens but decided to give it a shot this year. I am in Sarasota, Florida; so what kind of advice can you give me and what exactly are you planting?

3. skeeterbug

skeeterbug Active Member

I am pretty much hooked on Jalapenos. We probably pickle about 2 gallons a year. I have grown cayanne, tobasco, habanero, hot wax peppers and an ornamental purple pepper that was as hot as habaneros.

BTW, if anyone wants to know, I know how to pickle jalapenos so that they stay crisp-- I add 1/4 tsp of bisulfite per qt of peppers. Bisulfite is the chemical that is used in wine making to sterilize the fruit before adding yeast-- some people are allergic to sulfites though.

Skeet

4. AlabamaJack

AlabamaJack Member

Not any way to tell you what I am planting in 2008 except list them all - I built a large germinator out of plywood, plexiglass, and 2 X 4s. Temperature controlled by a remote bulb thermostat in the soil of one of the germination cups (9 oz clear dixie cup). As a test, I started 5 seeds of three different ornamental varieties: Largo Purple, Marbles, and Little Elf. I will grow these inside this winter and may transplant them spring 2008.

If the same pepper is listed twice, it came from different suppliers.

Aji Amarillo
    Aji Limo
    Anaheim
    Ancho 101
    Bhut Jolokia
    Big Chili
    Big Jim
    Bird
    Cayenne, Carolina
    Cayenne, Mesilla
    Chili Ancho Poblano
    Devil Tongue
    Dorset Naga
    Early Jalapeno
    Fatalii
    Habanero, Caribbean
    Habanero, Orange
    Habanero, Red Savina
    Habanero, Red Savina
    Habanero, Yellow
    Haitian Hot
    Habanero, Chocolate
    Hot Banana
    Hot Caribbean
    Hot Super Chili
    Hot Tepin
    Indian PC-1
    Inferno Hot Banana
    Jamaican Hot
    Jamaican Hot Chocolate
    Jamaican Hot Red
    Jamaican Hot Yellow
    Large Red Cherry Hot
    Large Red Thick Cayenne
    Largo Purple
    Lemon Drop
    Little Elf
    Long Red Slim Cayenne
    Marbles
    NuMex Bailey Piquin
    NuMex Pinata
    NuMex Sandia
    NuMex Twilight
    Paprika
    Pasillo Bajio
    Peter Pepper
    Poblano
    Pretty Purple
    Ring of Fire
    Scotch Bonnet
    Serrano
    Super Cayenne II Hybrid
    Super Chili
    Sweet Pimento
    Tabasco
    Tepin
    Thai Orange
    Thai Sun Pepper
    Thia Red
    Yatsafusa

AJ

5. SamIyam

SamIyam Member

AJ,
    Congrats on your bumper crop, I had pretty good success this year myself with peppers of all kind. I did learn finally not to harvest too soon, for the longest time I wondered why my greenpeppers and red bell peppers were so small. The answer was in how long I alow them to stay on the vine. Have saved some seeds here as well and plan to start earlier next season, any tips?

thanks
    sam

6. et2007

et2007 Active Member

AJ,
    That is a long and very interesting peppers list. so far i only grow Thai Orange and the other is a small yellow pepper that a friend gave me the seeds, but she doesn't know the name. It is very hot and have a strong fragrant. I just order the chicken heart and the lemon peppers seeds. I think my mysterious yellow pepper maybe the same as the chicken heart. Until the next summer.
    et2007

7. AlabamaJack

AlabamaJack Member

Sam:

I have learned a lot in the past 2 years about hot peppers and pepper gardening but I am certainly by no means an expert. I started 5 Marbles, 5 Little Elves, and 5 Largo Purple as a test run to find out how to grow peppers from seed and have had great success with them. The Largo Purple failed to germinate (I suppose I had a bad lot of seeds) but 9 out of 10 of the marbles and little elves are about 5 1/2 " tall now and already have buds on them. The seeds were planted 6 weeks ago today (1 Novem). These peppers are ornamentals and I will be growing them inside as house plants. I started 5 Red Savina seeds 8 days ago and am waiting for them to sprout. I will grow the Red Savina plants inside until next spring and then harden them off and move them outside. All my peppers will be in containers. I will have probably 150 5 gallon containers with pepper plants in them the summer of 08.

sorry I got to ramblin'...

AJ

Last edited: Dec 13, 2007
  8. alabama

alabama Active Member

My wife says that if you grow hot peppers near sweet peppers the sweet peppers will become hot. Is this true? Or is this just an old wives tale? She is getting older!

9. SamIyam

SamIyam Member

Thanks AJ,
    Feel free to "ramble" on especially when the subject is gardening. I am already suffering from a sever case of SAD and

10. lhuget

lhuget Active Member

I'm trying peppers for the first time in 2008 in my greenhouse. My greenhouse has been a tomato and basil house in the summer but I want to try sweet and hot peppers next year. I will be growing them in containers. Should I start seeding now? I won't be starting up the greenhouse operation until March 1st (natural light only). Any tips on do's/don'ts for peppers would be great. Thanks.

11. AlabamaJack

AlabamaJack Member

Sweet and Hot peppers Crossing. Sweet Peppers and Hot Peppers may cross pollinate. However, the sweet peppers will not be hot until the F1 seeds are planted and grown the next year.

Growing Hot Peppers. I may get banned from this site after this post but here it goes any way. Google "The Hot Pepper" and you will find a forum that deals exclusively with Hot Peppers and all associated information you would want. Sauces, Chili, Salsa, How to grow hot peppers, How to germinate hot pepper seeds, etc. Ther are Chili Heads from all over the world. Need to know something about how to grow hot peppers? Ask the question and you will get more than one opinion. Several members have green houses and will readily share information. I am also AlabamaJack on that site.

Have wonderful holidays. Merry Christmas, Happy Hannakuh, and Happy New Year.

12. Chooch

Chooch Active Member 10 Years

SW Ontario 65 miles west of London / 33 miles sout
    Personally my favorite pepper variety is any type of Aji ; it is definitely an obscure and most underutilized heirloom pepper variety .

13. gregsydney

gregsydney Member

sounds like your going to have a nice selection this year
    im new to chili's only started this year with 6 orange habanero's
    you guys seem to know alot about chili's
    in your opinion what is the easiest to look after variety a beginner like me should get?
    thanks

14. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

Wow, Chooch, come south! Unless you go out of your way to find Jalapeno or Habanero, Aji are the dominant hot peppers down here. So much so, that any hot pepper sauce is simply called "Aji."

This said, there's a variety of small ornamental purple peppers locally called "Dragon's Teeth" that are much much hotter, comparable to hot habaneros or thai dragon chilis. If (like me) you grow these, you need to handle the plants and fruits with gloves to prevent the peppers from burning your skin. My neighbors routinely trade me insane amounts of corn and squash for 5-10 of these little beauties.

15. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

Oh, and Jack - have you ever grown Aji Rojo or Hungarian Hot Wax?

16. chili militia

chili militia Member

Hey guys it looks like everyone had a great season, Man I germinated about 3000 seeds this year and got injured at work and managed to save about 1000 what a dillsmit
    but my pepper list goes on if you wanna contact me so I can e mail it to you but man it's huge about 350 vars and almost all the species wowowow