Spanish marilda beans (musica)

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by CynthiaM, May 21, 2012.

1. CynthiaM

CynthiaM Member

Does anyone know an online company (in Canada) (preferably in BC) that sells the pole bean known commonly as musica? Westcoast seeds used to sell it years ago and I loved the bean, but I see that they do not sell it anymore (goes to show how long since I had purchased seed of this variety).

2. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

West Coast Seeds has 'Matilda' in their catalog, in case 'marilda' in the thread title is a misspelling. Also, the description for 'Helda Romano' says it "replaces Musica"; perhaps the two varieties are similar.

3. CynthiaM

CynthiaM Member

Excellent, thank you for the tip. Yes, Matilda I am sure. I use Westcoast seeds as a main supplier of a few things, always had wonderous results. In another forum, a chicken forum, a friend told me that she grows Heda romano and she thought they tasted the same as when she too used to grow musica. Pretty sure, the company replaced musica with heda as they are pretty much the same. Thank you, I am back in business now with having great beans to grace by summer table. I appreciate the comments. Have a wonderful day.

4. CynthiaM

CynthiaM Member

Still doing more searching. Westcoast has Matilda, but they are not the same, the name could be miralda not marilda, but it is not matilda. Matilda at westcoast are a round podded bean. Upon searching more and getting answers from others, it would appear that there is a bean called helda that can be obtained in Victoria at twowings seeds. I will be ordering from there, I would like to keep my purchases from our country.

5. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

Glad you were able to find a replacement. If you're really set on Musica, Abundant Life Seeds in Oregon has it: Pole Bean-Musica-Organic. The shipping charges may be more palatable if a number of people pooled their orders.