Identification: Un-mint

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by globalist1789, Sep 8, 2006.

1. globalist1789

globalist1789 Active Member

Hi all,

Sorry no camera, but it wouldn't help a lot anyway.

A co-worker gave me a plant that looks very, very mint like (so the pic wouldn't help a lot). It's stem is pretty heavy and fuzzy, and leaves are fleshier and fuzzier than any mint I've seen. The smell, while slightly minty is also pungent and "spicy".

The plant was brought here from Gujarat, india. They call it "udjmoh". Couldn't find it anywhere online. I checked with a Punjabi man I know and called it "Hajwan" (not Ajuwain). It is a medicinal/religious herb. I've tried every permutation of the spellings that I could think of, and zip.

Any help would be fantastic.
    Michael

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Maybe next try someone you know with a digital camera. If you can get an image up you will probably find out what it is, otherwise maybe not.

3. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Have you got a flatbed scanner? If yes, put a piece of the plant on it and scan it; that'll make a very good photo.

4. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

The Encyclopedia of Indian Medicinal Plants available at The Foundation for Revitalisation of Local Health Traditions (FRLHT) has a comprehensive collection of vernacular names. 'Ajwan', 'Ajuan', and 'Ajwain' is present but there was no match on the other two terms. How about 'Ajmod', 'Ajmot', and 'Ajmud'? It's worth a closer look. The database can be accessed by http://envis.frlht.org.in/ or http://www.medicinalplants.in/.

5. globalist1789

Thanks for the link, Junglekeeper. But I struck out. All the plants with similar names are listed as APIACEAE (Parsley/carrot family). This plant just isn't part of that family.

Let's just forget what my friend told me. I'll write it off as traditional, "folk" misinformation. I'll us my own observations here.

Does anyone know of a mint or close relative that has fleshier, velvety leaves and a much thicker velvety stalk? It has the same habit as the mints that I have but a much "softer" appearance.

Michael

6. Ron B

Horsemint?

7. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Or a mint family look-alike? Possibly something in the [WIKI]Acanthaceae[/WIKI]?

8. globalist1789

Nope. Sorry. The good news is that the guy who gave me the plant is going to snap photos for me. Only fair, really.

9. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

Plectranthus amboinicus or another Plectranthus? Sometimes refered to as a "blank mint." Fill in the blank with your choice of nationality. I think it is commonly grown in India.

10. Ron B

Plectranthus was actually going to be my first suggestion. If a good picture appears we can stop casting around.

11. globalist1789

Drum roll please...... Note the thick stalk and fuzziness.

Attached Files:

12. Ron B

Plectranthus or relation.

13. globalist1789

Thanks a lot folks. It is really appreciated. Eric, you hit hit it right on the head, Plectranthus amboinicus. Being able to do that from my scant description is quite a feat. And might I say, WOW! could a plant have more common names then this stuff?

Thanks again,
    M.

14. Ron B

It was a likely suspect, grown and used by many. Another common name is Cuban oregano.

15. maximus

maximus Active Member

16. mosscampion

mosscampion Active Member

I'm confused too. :) My dad gave me cuttings a couple of months ago of an herb he calls "Puerto Rican Oregano" (not a real oregano I understand). In my searches to find the true latin name, I settled on Plectranthus amboinicus, although I didn't feel 100% confident. Here's a photo...btw the stems are square. Any ideas?

Clarification: My inquiry is whether my plant pictured here is the same as the plant in question in this thread...I realize that the common name "Puerto Rican Oregano" is one of MANY and really has no bearing on my identification; it's just what my dad called the plant. Thanks! :)

Attached Files:

17. Eric La Fountaine

There is quite a bit of variation in this plant, but I am not so sure about Maximus' plant.

18. maximus

maximus Active Member

im thinking its a variation, i remember my father saying its called all-in-one here in Australia, then someone posted a reply saying its got the name of 3-in-one/five-in-one/all-in-one herb herb here in Australia, or Plectranthus amboinicus, or if you prefer Solenostemon amboinicus.. so i did wat any normal person would do.... googled it! haha heres some sites with information and pictures, the pictures match the one i have, same furry leaves, and purple flowers.. so check it out

http://zipcodezoo.com/Plants/S/Solenostemon_amboinicus.asp

http://toptropicals.com/catalog/uid/Solenostemon_amboinicus.htm

http://www.hear.org/pier/species/plectranthus_amboinicus.htm

19. TonyR

TonyR Active Member

That is probably so, Eric, but the variation will appear even greater to those who confuse it with the quite distantly related Plectranthus neochilus, a member of the P. caninus complex. I have got the impression that that species is often called"Cuban oregano" in the US (and Canada?).

I am fairly sure Maximus's plant is the true P. amboinicus.

20. Eric La Fountaine

Thanks TonyR,

I see there are a lot of types of Plectranthus. I am sure you know the plant better than I. I was making the suggestion more from culinary knowledge than botanical, and yes both species appear to be sold in N. America as Cuban oregano or some other common name. With such variation, it is really hard to ID them. I see your point about the flowers. Do you think the others in the thread are P. neochilus, P.amboinicus, or another Plectranthus sp.?