Identification: Indoor green plant ID

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by EMongeau, Mar 31, 2007.

1. EMongeau

EMongeau Member

I'm looking to ID the plant in the pictures. I've had it for years and don't remember where I got it but it was in a northeast window for years and was all green. Last year I repotted it and it's babies and put it in the northwest window where it became variegated. This week I repotted again because it puts out new shoots very easily and brought some to work with me. Everyone wanted one but no one knew what it was, including me! I couldn't find it on the Web anywhere. The leaf consistency is like a dracena but but that's the only similarity. It doesn't flower. Any ideas?
    Thanks,
    Eve Mongeau

Attached Files:

2. Bluewing

Bluewing Well-Known Member

It's a Sansevieria. Yours looks like the dwarf birds nest type.

3. EMongeau

EMongeau Member

Thank you! I actually think I was referring to Sansevieria (I was think of snake plant) when I said Dracena. It's funny that in all the searching the last couple of days I found many pictures of the regular plants but none of the birds nest. Now that I know, I've found many references on line.
    Thank you again - this seems like a good site for good information.

Eve

4. TonyR

TonyR Active Member

You may be interested to know that Dracaena and Sanseviera are so closely allied that some botanists now say they should be merged into a single genus.

Your plant is probably S. trifasciata 'Hahnii', an old cultivar. Variants of it with yellow striping are more widely grown, I suspect.

5. EMongeau

EMongeau Member

Thanks - I looked at so many pictures trying to find it online that the names sort of run together! I'm not that well versed in the botanical names but now I feel better about this one.
    Eve