How to revive my Japanese Sedge

Discussion in 'Annuals, Biennials, Perennials, Ferns and Bulbs' started by vicarious1, Apr 23, 2009.

1. vicarious1

vicarious1 Active Member 10 Years

Burnaby North on a slope facing south & a view :-)
    Living in Vancouver after South Africa I tried to buy EVERGREEN things ..So I was advised the Japanese Sage .. It looked nearly better and fresher in the winter under the snow .. Now that spring has arrived it dried out and feels to my eyes as if it died.
    It is in terra cotta pots on small columns. I know that in the ground it would do better BUT we are renting and anything in the ground has to stay.. and as it is ever green I thought the pot is fine.
    What must I do now CLIP all the leaves or simply wait for fresh one to grow . Will they grow from the center or under or in between? Shall I take it out and add fresh earth ?
    Looking for any advise thank you.
    Vic

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2009
  2. growest

growest Active Member 10 Years

Re: How to revice my Japanese Sage

Hi Vic. Those pots do look less than ornamental right now, don't they!

BTW, the plants are japanese sedge, that will help ya looking up any info online.

They are pretty hardy zonewise, but this was a freaky bad winter that did in a lot of normally okay plants, and your sedge might be in the same boat. For sure, that old foliage isn't going to improve, so I would clip all that off, and I might be seeing some hopeful looking greener/more alive stuff in the centre and lower down, hope so. If you poke around a bit you may see juicy/greener bits in the crown that will indicate your plants can come back. If it looks shriveled right to the ground everywhere, I would go ahead and poke around in the soil to see if any roots look alive. Let us know what you find.

The question then is do you want to wait for regrowth...if these are in a prominent area I'd at least move them into the back until they start to look like something again.

3. vicarious1

Re: How to revice my Japanese Sage

thanks will do and let you know :-)

4. Pieter

Pieter Well-Known Member 10 Years

Re: How to revive my Japanese Sage

I'd guess the medium is waterlogged and compacted, which of course leads to root rot. Take one of them out of its pot and check the roots, there should be plenty of white ones if they are still viable. If you don't see any white roots, odds are its a goner but if you want to see if it will come back, use a different mix with better aeration.

5. vicarious1

Re: How to revive my Japanese Sage

Thank you will do ..it was in my plan for the week end to take out and check and add fresh potting soil..