My Kiwi Vine is Bleeding

Discussion in 'Fruit and Vegetable Gardening' started by dribera, Apr 10, 2006.

1. dribera

dribera Member

I have had two kiwi vines (a female and a male) for over two years now. I was careful to prune during my kiwi vines' dormant period. However, I read that you can pinch back buds to control the direction of growth. I pinched back two spots and now the vine is bleeding, that is, sap is dripping out. I have read (and experienced) that this causes no "permament" harm in grapes vines, but I am concerned with this kiwi. Should I be concerned? Is there a way to stop the bleeding, other than to let nature run its course? Is there a way to staunch the wound? I tried painting it with _Tree Seal_ but it this is evidently not effective on a wet/runny wound. This is the year we are anticipating our first crop of fruit, so I am hoping I didn't do any harm. Constructive advice is appreciated.

2. woodschmoe

woodschmoe Active Member 10 Years

I experienced the same thing a couple of years ago, and let it be. Bottom line, no problem, it will stop soon: I harvested a large crop that year, so no apparent ill effect.

3. seagonus

seagonus Active Member 10 Years

I prune close to 40% of my huge kiwi plants this year late in february. The vines were bleeding and dripping everywhere. I don't think you can kill a kiwi very easily--they are amazingly virile plants.

4. Tylerj

Tylerj Member

I bought a hardy kiwi from a nursery yesterday. It's the self pollinating 'Issai' variety. The plant has 2 trunks coming out from he soil in the pot and then on each there are about 5 or 6 branches that all start within a couple inches of the bottom of each main vine. I want to prune these back so I can start to train a main vertical vine but it is coming out in leaf now and afraid of the "bleeding" thing. From the sounds of it from the posts above it shouldn't cause too much problems though?

Also can you propagate the cuttings? Will they root if I stick them in some rooting soil? Thanks for any advice.