Lemon tree, curled leaves, no thorns, no fruit

Discussion in 'Citrus' started by kvbohney, Apr 4, 2006.

1. kvbohney

kvbohney Member

We have a lemon tree that shows signs of gnarly indifference to produce lemons. The growth is abundant but the branches have no thorns. The tree produced one time two years ago. The leaves are gnarly/curled and have varying colors from lemon to deep green. It gets watered every two to three days for 8 minutes from a sprinkler. The top branches are about three to four feet high. Is it salvagable?

2. 82Stang

82Stang Member

I think you might be overwatering your tree. My Key Lime tree was dropping its leaves and most of them were curling up. From what Millet told me over-watering your citrus tree is the WORST thing you can do for it. I let my lime tree dry out a bit and water it when the top 2 inch of soil is dry. Now it seems to be doing better, ie new leaves are growing.

I'm still new to growing citrus and there are others with way more knowledge than me.

3. kvbohney

kvbohney Member

82Stang

Thank you for the response to my inquiry. I have had that intuitive feeling about watering also. However, two challenges confront me. I can replant the tree to a drier area, but the wife may not agree with such a move and I am concerned that it may be too old to transplant. But, the gain is that it doesn't produce now so what harm is there in transplanting, correct? That is what I will do, under duress, but but with confidence that it is better than doing nothing.