identification of striped rose

Discussion in 'Rosa (roses)' started by valuers, Nov 9, 2005.

1. valuers

valuers Member

we are having some problems identifying this rose. it is a paler red in colour, but has stripes that are a deeper red. if anyone can help us identify this rose, that would be most helpful!

Attached Files:

• Rose.jpg
      Rose.jpg
      File size:
      42.2 KB
      Views:
  2. Weekend Gardener

Weekend Gardener Active Member 10 Years

Is that a bunch from the florist or is it grown in your garden? I don't know about Australia, but in North America, the florist's roses are greenhouse grown, or grown in central America, and are not usually found in a typical garden. The florist's roses can be difficult to identify.

The only one that I know of that comes close to those in your picture is a hybrid tea, DELstriro, with the registered trademarked name of "Red Intuition", from Delbard. It was introduced in 2000 to commercial growers.

3. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Looks like we may have a winner.

4. Sirs,the name of the red/medium red striped rose is Red Intuition. It is a hybrid tea that is in limited production. I cannot find a nursery in the U.S. that sells this plant. It was created by Delbard of France. Good luck finding it.

5. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Based on earlier post, the name of the rose cultivar would be 'DELsoro', RED INTUITION being a trademark (selling name). Similarly, the name of the herbicide is glyphosate, rather than ROUNDUP, KLEENUP or whatever other selling names may have been used. With modern commercial practices it can be more complicated than genus - species - cultivar.

6. valuers

valuers Member

thanks to all who replied. we managed to find a cultivator in australia who will be releasing it next year. cheers

7. snoflake

snoflake Member

Hi! I'm interested in finding out the name of the cultivator in Australia. Hope you can help! Thank you!

8. Beatrice

Beatrice Member

Hello,

Regarding your question about the striped rose. To the best of my knowledge it is called Red Intuition. I have not been able to find a place to purchase the bushes, but have seen the roses in cut form at the grocery store. They have always been labeled Red Intuition. If you have any info on how to find the bushes, let me know. Thanks, Bea

9. Beatrice

Beatrice Member

I would also like to find out the source for the Red Intuition Rose. Thanks.

10. Weekend Gardener

Weekend Gardener Active Member 10 Years

If you are interested in striped roses, you may be interested to know that Delbard's is now also offering striped roses for the garden. I saw a few of them on offer at the Garden Shop at RHS Wisley in London on a visit there two days ago. They have names like Henri Matisse, Camille Pissarro and Rose Des Cistercians. I am not sure if any of these roses has reached the North American shores yet. But if so, I would expect Ashdown to carry them - they already sell Delbard's roses, including the "Roses of Painters" series.

11. pclarky

pclarky Member

Red Intuition is right. If you're in Melbourne Australia, come down to Morningstar Estate, we have a huge display garden of Delbard roses and about 50000 others, also Fleminton Racecourse has a massive display . Rankins nursery is the primary grower and they have an open day in March.