Peace Lily Question

Discussion in 'Araceae' started by Jinny, Jun 24, 2008.

1. Jinny

Jinny Member

I have a Peace Lily in my office. I repotted it and posted here on 17th March this year as it went completely flat and I feared for its demise.

I was thrilled when it perked up and continues to thrive. It is leaning towards the light as one side is more shadowed, but thats ok. The tips have gone a little brown, but the leaves are happy looking, deep green and shiny and I wash the dust off weekly.

I feed it as instructed with Baby Bio. And water every other day, so it doesn't dry out.

The question I have concerns the flower. It sprouted 2 flower spikes. One didn't grow very tall and faded died fairly quickly, the other flower grew taller and was beautifully white. That was fine, and then it turned into a beautiful pale green, then a lime green, and now it's darkened and is a shade lighter than the leaves, and the central part that was yellow, is now dark brown but not dried out.

The plant and soil does not smell mouldy or musty.

The flower spike is a fair bit taller than the leaves, and someone in the office said the poor thing was feeling conspicuous and so is in camoflague! hahahaha!

Can anyone shed any light on whether my plant is simply faking it's healthy appearance, or if it is normal to turn green?

Also, when is it normal for a Peace Lily to flower ? Anything else I should be doing to keep my plant happy. I have grown very attached to it now, and it has become quite a talking point in the office.

Many thanks for any advice.

2. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

That's normal. A happy peace lily will bloom sporadically all year round, and it sounds like you're doing everything right. If you post a picture or two, we'll be able to be more helpful.