Autumn coming early?

Discussion in 'Maples' started by ROEBUK, Jul 15, 2014.

1. ROEBUK

ROEBUK Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Just thought i would post these pics of one of my Filligrees which looked stunning in this evenings sunset and i had to remind myself we are only in mid july!!!!!

Now after having one of the earilest springs i can certainly remember for quite a long time i was a little concerned that we in the UK seem to be at least 5 to 6 weeks ahead of where we should be at this present moment in time. Looking back at last years various pictures of the JM there is certainly a huge difference in the colours, the vast majority were all still in the "green" summer mode. Have spoken to a few growers around the UK and this seems to be the norm at present and everyone is putting this down to the very mild winter which we had and the super spring start. One or two of the large growers who exhibit their trees in the large garden shows are struggling to keep their show trees in summer leaf because so many are starting to turn.

At present i have Omure yama,Vitifolium,Acontifolium Emerald lace Hogyoku Filligrees and Nicholsonii just to name a few which are in the stages of turning very nicely at present.

I would be interested to know if any of you guys in the states were finding similar patterns of colour change after your horrid winter and late spring start.

The Filligree's this time last year were still in the lovely green/yellow shades but they certainly looked pretty tonight, now it will be interesting to see how long it takes for them to turn again into the lovely gold colours.Where is this year going!!!!

Attached Files: