Help: Privacy hedge for sun and shaded area

Discussion in 'Garden Design and Plant Suggestions' started by ducalen, Jun 24, 2008.

1. ducalen

ducalen Member

Hi,
    I am new to this forum and to landscaping in general so any help would be appreciated. I bought a house last year and I would like to plant a continuous privacy hedge between my house and my neighbours. Part of the property line receives a decent amount of afternoon sun but part is shaded by some large trees. Please see the attached image. Currently along the green line there is a very poorly maintained 10' cedar hedge that I think cannot be rejuvenated. The bottom 3'-4' of the northern side is completely bare, and the bottom 8' of the southern side is completely bare due to a 8' fence/retaining wall blocking the sun. Currently along the blue line there are some large scraggly cedars that have grown to 10-20' and are all arching north to get out of the shade of a large maple.

My question is; is there a type of hedge that will grow well in both the sun and shade? I would like it to grow to 8-10' along the green line. Along the blue line height is not as important but I would like it to be nice and dense.

Who could I go to for advice? An arborist, landscaper, or garden centre?

Thanks. Let me know if you need more info or pictures.

Attached Files:

• Yard.jpg
      Yard.jpg
      File size:
      72.5 KB
      Views:
  2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Garden centers will have other people asking for this kind of thing all the time. If you have one you like try them.