Vole invasion/threatening shade garden

Discussion in 'Garden Pest Management and Identification' started by Lin, Sep 26, 2006.

1. Lin

Lin Member

Can anyone suggest a solution? I am in Black Creek, East Vanc Isl & this summer voles have appeared.They 1st make a small hole then later a larger one or several and they are eating the roots in a bowl shape under and around rhodos, Japanese maples, viburnums etc. I see they are even attacking large firs...I live surrounded by woods but have never had this in 25 years. They target wherever I water so I thought it was because of the dry summer. I am not sure if there is one or two species...one seems chocolate brown and sort of flat and the smaller one is so fast I can only catch a glimpse but seems to have a short tail with bristles on it. I have at least 1/2 acre so the solutions involving very expensive liquids and powders aren't viable. What I have tried is cayenne powder, slightly effective, Bounce sheets in the holes(effective but they make a hole right next to it), the products called Shake Away (garlic, bobcat urea and ground bones), Bobbex which is garlic and cayenne and magnesium.The Shake Away is not working, the Bobbex is moderately effective but at 33.00 a bottle is too expensive. I have tried snap traps with peanut butter with no success, flooding holes no success. I'm going to lose my garden! A friend in Oregon lost 30 trees to voles! Help!!!

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Even the integrated pest management solution for voles via UC-Davis suggests rodenticides when populations explode. The IPM program and resources from UC Davis are some of the best in existence, so unless someone has first-hand experience with a solution that works, I think it may (unfortunately) be your only option.

3. Lin

Lin Member

Thank you, I have read that before. The only rodenticide I can locate is brodifacoum and if I protect the burrows from squirels with wire mesh will it be effective? It only says rats and mice on the label.But I thought the aren't attracted to it because it isn't what they eat. Currently I don't have a cat and we are fenced from dogs but if I put some of this in a burrow and cover with wire mesh would that be safe? Unfortunately the article doesn't mention a brand name or the chemical.

4. Just Curious

Just Curious Active Member

In the cranberry and blueberry industry bait traps are used. They are made from 1 1/2" plastic pipe. It is basically an upside down 'T' about 18" along the ground and 12" high with a cap on top to keep out water and makes for easy checking and reloading of bait which is a pelletized rodenticide. These are staked into the ground so they can't be knocked about. They work for us, cheap, easy and fairly safe.

5. Lin

Lin Member

That sounds a lot safer against accidently killing anything else. What kind of, or brand of, rodenticide do you use? Do you pour it in from the top above ground capped part? I think I could easily make these and adjust them to a garden situation!

Another idea someone gave me is a rabbit wire trap with a hinged opening going into it with some peanut butter pushed into it and the trap placed at a 20% angle into the hole. The vole supposedly smells peanut butter and is not afraid to push into the cage because it sees light, then can't get out and you can drown it. I am thinking below ground a nice tunnel with the pipes should be okay.

Also, the literature mentions the voles are pour climbers but they have climbed into every one of my planter pots, even ones more than 2 feet tall and glazed. I now have screening mesh held done with duct tape on every pot...it looks horrible! I think they don't climb into houses because their food isn't there! I really wonder if they can't climb up and over the rabbit fencing that is mentioned in the literature.
    Thank you for your repley!

6. Lin

Lin Member

Thanks again..I realized I misread your directions for the "T" and it is above ground. My husband is on his way to hardware stores now to find some or get the tubing to make some. I don't think our little squirrels can get into a hole that small. I just have a lot of confidence this is going to work as long as they take the bait! Very grateful, this solution applies the best of the two responses. Lin

7. Just Curious

If you cut the outer ends that lay on the ground at 45 degrees and face the long side up, the voles feel more secure before entering the bait station.

8. Lin

Lin Member

Okay, will do. I am feeling quite relieved about this method. I just spoke to a neighbor and she said they and many people on the road are having the vole problem as well as a Norway rat problem! Hopefully the population will crash soon. She also suggested borax which she mixes with sugar or honey, for mice...she was wondering if it might work on voles.

Is the rodenticide you use "brodifacoum"?

9. Lin

Lin Member

I have set up seven upside down "T"'s and the bait is being taken so I hope it will work! Some places on the internet say gopher bait is best for voles so I am not sure the rat/mouse bait brodifacoum is best. Does anyone know? Lin

10. GreenGoose

GreenGoose Active Member

We used wine bottles with bird seed in the bottom when our holiday trailer was invaded. They would go down for the grin but couldn't make it up the slippery glass.

If you will send me a few big bottles of wine, I will prepare them for you so you just have to install them in your garden

11. Lin

Lin Member

Was that with or without the wine?

12. GreenGoose

GreenGoose Active Member

Any big bottles of wine; not any big wine bottles

13. Lin

Lin Member

I got it. Actually sounds like a good idea...the seeds in the bottle. However, voles aren't attracted to seeds. Mice would be.

14. peragrinusrichero

peragrinusrichero Member

Good point Lin,I have heard however the a lot of gardeners are attracted to wine, might catch something?

15. Lin

Lin Member

Well spring is here and as I wander the garden with a glass of wine.....I see signs that might be from voles and/or it might be birds...a lot of moss pulled up and searched under, especially around edges of things. This is a sign of voles I think, but as everything is wet not just where I watered the last dry summer, it isn't hurting anything. But really it is a serious problem and I may have only been killing mice last year.

16. Just Curious

Lin:
    This sounds more like animal damage because of an insect problem.
    Got any pics?