Air-layering maples

Discussion in 'Maples' started by AlainK, Jul 11, 2015.

1. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

Bonsoir,

A recent thread made me think again about air-layering: so far, I've had no success at all with grafting, no matter how I tried to follow the advice given here by very savvy people ^^

But the plain species of Acr p., and some cultivars are very easy to reproduce from air-layering. A good way to give friends a bit of your passion. Last weekend, I gave my ex-brother-in-law's second wife a 'Butterly' when they invited me for a Bar-B-Q to celebrate.

Here's another example with an Acer p. 'Phoenix'. I put a wire around the branch to make it swell so that more celles would be available for new roots, but that's not really necessary actually. I tried it to make a bonsai at first, but I think I will keep it as just a potted tree to offer a friend - I couldn't imagine how many people in their late fifties, early sixties, are getting married again ;°D

The base of the tree is being devekopped as a future bonsai, but that's a whole different srory.

Attached Files:

2. Houzi

Houzi Active Member 10 Years

Nice job Alain!...I've only tried air layering a couple of times,both in an endevour to make use of a second leader stem I removed...both a dismal failure ha ha.
    I've found that 'species' palmatums,both green and red root readily from cuttings with no special treatment,however a recent half hearted attempt to root 'Butterfly' failed.
    I still admire cultivars grown on their own roots but have trouble keeping them going,I've only got one left now....I take my hat off to you...well I would if I wore one :)

3. whis4ey

whis4ey Well-Known Member 10 Years

Houzi .... if you are growing successfully from cuttings I would be interested to know your methodology as I have had no success :)

4. TheScarletPrince

TheScarletPrince Member

Rooting hormones: they come in liquid, powders, gels, etc.
    You must find the one that works for the species you are working with. I use Dip'N'Grow and it works about 40-50% of the time (although it is mainly for trees/shrubs/etc I am trying it with flowers too and the holly hocks work, at least). I have also had success with a Crape merdle cutting.

5. Houzi

Houzi Active Member 10 Years

Hi Sam,as I said it was only generic seedlings I've rooted.In the past when chopping off the top of rootstocks it seemed such a shame(especially the red ones)to throw away all that lovely foliage.As Scarletprince said I did use a rooting powder but just the common one you see everywhere with the dibber on the cap.
    All I can say is it would have been current seasons vigorous growth but not too near the tip....a decent thickness.Done mid to late summer when you can see the bulge of the 2ndary buds beneath the petioles.I just removed the leaves,stuck it in compost with rooting powder.They were kept in a plastic growhouse but it didn't really provide added humidity,just shelter as the door is broken.The petioles fell off quite quickly if I remember and leaves followed later.I just failed rooting some 'Butterfly' but they were not vigorous recent cuttings,perhaps this is part of the key to success....who knows? ha