Japanese Maple Sango Kaku

Discussion in 'Maples' started by p550spyder, Jul 16, 2015.

1. p550spyder

p550spyder New Member

Hi There,

Hoping someone can help me out with a bit of advice. I just recently purchased a Japanese Maple Sango Kaku tree. I fell in love with this tree long ago and was determined to eventually buy one. The single problem I'm battling after the fact, is my fear in its lack of hardiness. I live in Toronto, Ontario and for anyone who has been here in the winter time, you know it can get pretty darn cold! When talking with the nursery where I purchased it, they suggested I burlap the tree a few times around ,with the 3-4 stake method and that should suffice. Given what I've read about these trees, i'm not entirely convinced that is going to work if we end up having a severe winter and the winds are fierce. It is planted on the southside of my home, with no real coverage east or west of it, so it will get hit with winds. I have a bloodgood in relative proximity doing fine for 5+ years now but it gets some coverage from cedars on one side and a small fence on another, besides they are more cold tolerant. For the Sango Kaku, in addition to the burlap should I consider creating a better shelter from the winds? Some thoughts were to build a ply would housing around it but leaving the top open so it can breath (would be a pain admittingly) or alternatively stake a tyvek house wrap around it after the burlap wrap, to help break those winds. Some might say "what would nature do" and to suggest leave it as is but this was an expensive tree and I want to have it survive and acclimate and establish itself for a good 4 seasons before I feel somewhat comfortable letting it fend for itself.

If any of you folks could lend some advice, who are well versed or have experience with such, especially as it relates to this JM cultivar, I would sincerely appreciate it!

Thank you!
    Pete

2. maplesmagpie

maplesmagpie Active Member

Welcome. :)

I lost mine in zone 5b during that horrific 2013/14 winter. It wasn't wrapped. The rootstock survived, as did the small portion of the tree under the snow layer, but it wasn't worth keeping the rest.

I hope you get good advice. It's a shame to have to cover it, though, since the winter bark is one of the main features of the cultivar.

3. p550spyder

p550spyder New Member

Thanks Maplesmagpie. That's unfortunate you lost yours and I do recall that nasty winter. Lots of snow and pretty cold! How long did you have it for & was it relatively new in your garden or well established?

4. TheScarletPrince

TheScarletPrince Member

You can try using a greenhouse cover to cover the tree, can find designs online.
    Simply use some pvc, greenhouse plastic and some rebar stakes and create a miniature greenhouse for your tree.

5. maplesmagpie

It was new. So were several others, though, and the Sango kaku was the only one that died. My Moonrise, Fireglow, and Seriyu had no damage. Bihou, another coral bark, also died its first winter here, and Corallinum seems to struggle as well.

6. TheScarletPrince

TheScarletPrince Member

Were they root bound or old stock? Someone more experienced should probably help you.
    Do you use Mykos or azos when planting/transplanting? One would have to know the conditions of the trees and their environment, so you'd need an arborist if you wanted to know in depth what happened or what is going on.
    It could be that it was too hot, or not hot enough. Too wet or not wet enough? Etc, typical environmental conditions or triggers that result, perhaps even soil PH had something to do with it. Did you allow them to acclimate before planting?
    Could of been shock, who knows. It is always sad to lose a tree; I lost a dogwood that was barely hanging on because I tried to "balance the ph and make it more appropriate". Unfortunately I think it was my interference and meddling that caused its preemptive passing. We did get old stock though and only 3 out of the 7 we purchased at discount made it and are still growing strong. Not everything makes it and some does, it is the yin and the yang of life.

7. maplesmagpie

Sango kaku and Bihou are the only ones I've had that died. Dozens of other cultivars are thriving. They weren't rootbound or old, they were healthy. It was the cold. We're in a borderline zone for them, and I knew it, but I thought I'd try anyway. Then we got hit with the coldest winter in 30 years. ;)

Honestly, I'm not upset about it. I'd rather know what a cultivar can take sooner than later. If we'd had ten mild winters and it had done well, then died in the first cold winter, it would have been much harder. I've been thankful for the last two winters in our zone (5b)... it's been a great way to test out JMs for hardiness.

8. TheScarletPrince

TheScarletPrince Member

Yeah, that greenhouse idea works though. I kept my greenhouse heated throughout last winter and had plants to take care of when no one else did! Ended up planting Huge holly hocks that following spring (that the darn hoppers have devoured and are barely clinging on, trying to save them asap).
    Putting a shelter over the trees and even covering it with a blanket could possible save them from a certain frosty doom. :)