Evergreen Candytuft (Iberis sempervirens

Discussion in 'Annuals, Biennials, Perennials, Ferns and Bulbs' started by janetdoyle, May 2, 2009.

1. janetdoyle

janetdoyle Active Member 10 Years

Victoria [Saanich, actually, northeast of Victoria
    Are there any suggestions out there for making this fuller?

I have several plants installed [planted last year sometime, maybe 1 1/2 years ago] on a partly sunny slope in a townhouse front garden. They are developing bloom buds now [we are a bit late here in the cool and shady area of Broadmead north of Victoria] around some rocks I placed with them when I planted them...

The area gets dappled sun after 12 noon, but is on the eastern side of a sloped townhouse front generally pointing northwest [neighbour's side of my driveway] which is isn't as sunny as the Iberis probably likes... However, what should I do to make it fill out? It looks a bit scraggly and thin on the foliage, some plants better than others, and I want a nice thick growth. Is it lime-loving? Would the addition of lime help? I have fertilized them a bit, early on when February showed some warm days, but will do more tomorrow...

Should I move them a few feet to the sunny western side of the narrow garden [thus putting them on my neighbour's side, although I have been gardening for both of us]... or just live with it... I could move them over to my front garden on the other side of my driveway which is more in the sun, although now I have it pretty filled up... Do they transplant well at all?

2. joclyn

joclyn Rising Contributor

have you ever cut them back?? doing that, after they bloom, should help them to become/stay more 'bushy'

3. janetdoyle

janetdoyle Active Member 10 Years

Victoria [Saanich, actually, northeast of Victoria
    No, I haven't. I just read about the necessity to do that on several websites, too... I will certainly do that, after they bloom... They were really too new, I thought, to cut back, as this spring is the first time they have really developed as plants -- just after planting they took a while to establish, a deer took a few experimental bites as well last year, which did some cutting back!