Beeches: clipping from weeping beech

Discussion in 'Fagaceae (beeches, oaks, etc.)' started by matttail, Jul 24, 2007.

1. matttail

matttail Member

I would like to get a clipping from a weeping European beech tree, Fagus Syllvatica Pendula, but I've not been having much luck. The tree is local, a short walk from my house. I've dome some research and read that you should be able to get clippings to take root when clipped in early summer or late fall, but when ever I try it the clippings just wilt and die in a few days.

I've tried just sticking the cuttings down in moist soil, and using a take root steroid, but the same thing happens. The tree is about 2 and half stories high now and appears to be very healthy - it expands significantly each year. (It's an awesome tree to climb up in a just relax). The tree doesn't bloom so I assume it's still fairly young?

anyways, any suggestions on how I can get a clipping from this tree would be great.

--Matttail

2. Karalyn

Karalyn Active Member

Try a hardwood cutting.

3. matttail

matttail Member

can you please explain?

--Matttail

4. Karalyn

Karalyn Active Member

Take a cutting, use Dip N Grow, hardwood cuttings need a stronger solution so this is why DIp and Grow is nice as you can dilute it for semi-ripe cuttings to ripe cuttings.

What type of moist soil are you using? I don't have a lot of experience yet on hardwood cuttings those are the ones you take now in the fall.
    But I put my cuttings in coarse sand trays and cover it with glass or plastic and then partial shade.

But haven't done that yet. During the summer I used a mister. Right now I'm using hardwood cuttings of clematis and it will be my first time with using the hardwood.

But I will be using Dip n Grow and placing them in some pots and tray mixed with coarse sand and some perlite.

The idea is to not have them in standing water. Winter is the easiest as far as non attentive action for rooting.

some trees root and some don't and I'm not an expert on beeches, but on some willows, I put placed a corkscrew willow branch that blew into my garden from the neighbors and stuck it in a big pot where I have a clematis growing. It has a compost mixture in it with perlite and peat and fine bark.

I didn't stick it in to root just to add for ornamentation. Later in spring I noticed branches were growing and leafing out. I just kept it watered like I do the plant.
    I suggest going to Freeplants.com. Here they discuss rooting different types of plants and ones that need to be grafted.

Or check this website for propagation techniques. I believe there is a forum on it.
    Also put a search in for rooting Beech trees.

5. M. D. Vaden

M. D. Vaden Active Member 10 Years

Like the last reply, my question is about what kind of soil you are using?

Clay? Coarse potting soil? Sand?

Using any item or location for warmth?

Is your space indoors or outdoors for these projects?

6. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Beech cultivars are generally grafted on seedling rootstocks. Rooting them from cuttings, although not totally impossible, is not at all easy.