Can somebody please identify this shrub/tree for me urgently?

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by amberconvery, Dec 29, 2012.

1. amberconvery

amberconvery Member

2012-12-29 17.26.20.jpg

2012-12-29 17.26.54.jpg [/ATTACH]

Hi all...

I really need this tree/shrub identified if possible :) It is situated in a mountain area in the Western Cape in Cape Town, in South Africa. I have no idea whether or not it is indigenous to the area...

Anyway, I really need to know the name of it and if anyone knows whether or not it is at all poisonous (Leaves, wood and berries) to birds? More specifically, to rainbow lorikeets. If somebody can just give me the name of it and also how certain they are that this is the shrub, as we want to use it for making a perch for our rainbow lorikeet so need to know that it is safe to use.

Thanks very much :)

Amber

2. Sky blue

Sky blue Member

3. amberconvery

amberconvery Member

That's the one :D Thank you so much!

4. amberconvery

amberconvery Member

2 more questions... Hoping you might know? Thought I would give it a shot in the dark. We are wanting to make a bird gym for our rainbow lorikeet out of this... It is the perfect shape is it is. Do you know if the wood/bark itself is toxic at all (I googled and it says no but just want to double check) and also how one can treat this wood in a safe way so that it stays as it is and does not rot/get termites etc. Basically how we can make it safe for our bird but also resistant :) It will, however, be staying inside.