Identification: Lepiota rachodes?

Discussion in 'Fungi, Lichens and Slime Molds' started by trilliumgirl, Oct 29, 2010.

1. trilliumgirl

trilliumgirl Member

hi there. i'm hoping someone can help me ID these mushrooms. they were found growing under western red cedars on burnaby mountain, and they produced a white spore print. any info would be very much appreciated. cheers!

Attached Files:

2. vitog

vitog Contributor 10 Years

Yep, that's what they are, also known as Chlorophyllum rhacodes and various other names. Look for orange to red staining where cut or bruised, to be certain. This is the season for this excellent edible; I picked some today during my lunch walk.

3. trilliumgirl

trilliumgirl Member

thank you so much . . . i really appreciate your response. i've been on the hunt for edible mushrooms growing near my home, and wanted a second, more experienced opinion before going ahead and sampling. i've been using two vintage mushroom id books and was also a bit worried that the toxicology info was out of date. do you have a favourite guidebook that you'd recommend for coastal bc?

4. vitog

vitog Contributor 10 Years

All of my mushroom books are out of date. Perhaps some of the other members of this forum can offer book recommendations. To get up-to-date information about toxicology, as well as confirmation of a tentative ID, a Web search is very useful.

5. Frog

Frog Generous Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years