removal of bishops weed

Discussion in 'Garden Pest Management and Identification' started by terrygone, Apr 8, 2007.

1. terrygone

terrygone Member

Having a hard time permanently removing this ground cover.

any suggestions??????

Terrygone

2. Weekend Gardener

Weekend Gardener Active Member 10 Years

I fought a long running battle with this "weed" at our previous property. I tried repeated applications of round-up - 3 applications - which did not work. Digging, as you would weeding, did not work. I discovered that every single piece of rhizome with a viable node will produce a new plant. Digging just resulted in hundreds of new plants that continue to pop up over the next 1-2 months - impossible to deal with, especially on a perennial bed.

What won the battle for me was digging every square inch of soil, sifting it with a 1/2 sift to remove every single piece of rhizome. Victory was earned, bed by bed, square yard by square yard. I had to do this fast enough - before rhizomes have started to invaded from the surrounding "untreated" areas.

Other people must have their own tale to tell about this invasive plant. I still see it offered in the big box stores and the nurseries. I cringe when I see that. It should come with a warning "If you grow this plant in your garden, be prepared to put up with it forever."

3. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Glyphosate is available in various formulations. You also have to use an effective method of application. Possibly you might have gotten much better results using a different approach.

4. jimweed

jimweed Active Member 10 Years

Why do so many people use Round Up to kill broadleaf weeds? Round Up is very good grassy weed killer, spray your lawn with it and you will find out, but your Clover will remain nice and green!

You want to kill that weed use 2,4-D. your basic broadleaf lawn weed spray will have 2,4-D in it. This will nuke Bishops weed. Add a little Casoron to the beds after to keep it down for the rest of the year. A bit of touch ups here and there and it can be eradicated quite easy. Although you must be able to spray each leaf. Jim.