Identification: Purple leafy plant

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by JugglingWolves, Aug 8, 2005.

1. JugglingWolves

JugglingWolves Member

[​IMG]

I got this clipping from a friend of mine ages ago and it's sprouted enough roots to finally plant. I've never planted a clipping and the only think I know about this plant is that it LOVES tons of sun. I've got it a hanging basket and a bracket to hang it in front of the sunniest window in my apartment, but I can't find any other care tips until I can figure out what it is.
    Does anyone know?

Thanks!

2. Marn

Marn Active Member 10 Years

HI there ..
    that is a common wandering Jew houseplant ..they r one of the easiest to grow and root .. u can plant it in that haning basket and let it grow then take a clipping and reroot it .. they will also root in the dirt ..just with any plant u need to take the bottom 2 leaves off or one to expose the node (the joint were the leaves and roots come out) .. and stick it in dirt or water .. and yes it loves sun .. and u will get purple lil blooms on the ends ..
    anymore questions feel free to ask ..

good luck

Marn

3. JugglingWolves

JugglingWolves Member

So will it grow new vines out of the dirt, or will I have to fill the plant out with its own clippings? There are only two tendrils right now, but the plant I got the clipping from was full and gorgeous, so one day I'd like to have this one looking as beautiful.

Thanks for the ident!

4. Marn

Marn Active Member 10 Years

oh it will grow new vines off of the old one .. if ya lose a leaf for some reason a new vine will grow from it .. trust me it wont take long to grow this plant so u can constantly take clippings and stick it in the pot to fill it up faster .. but it will branch out ..

any more Q's feel free

Marn