Bulbs still good?

Discussion in 'Annuals, Biennials, Perennials, Ferns and Bulbs' started by Fred Fredson, Mar 27, 2005.

1. Fred Fredson

Fred Fredson Member

Hi

We bought some Crocus and Miniature Iris bulbs last fall intending to plant them before freeze up.

Well, we didn't make it and they've been sitting all winter in the house in a plastic bag.

Is there an easy way to tell if they are still good?

I've heard that they need a hard freeze before they will grow, is that true?

What procedure should I follow? Just toss them in the fridge or what?

Thanks for your help.

F

2. Newt

Newt Well-Known Member 10 Years

Hi Fred,

Storing them in plastic is the worst thing you can do as it allows a build up of moisture. If the bulbs are still firm, go ahead and put them in the ground. They may not do anything, but it's worth a try. You might be surprised next year. You may only get leaves the first year or two, but you never know. Do mix some compost into the planting bed.

The iris could be shrivelled up. If so, don't worry about it and plant them too.

Newt

3. Fred Fredson

Fred Fredson Member

Thanks.

I'll give it a shot.

Nothing ventured nothing gained :)

F

4. Newt

Newt Well-Known Member 10 Years

You're very welcome!! I too just found some tulips my MIL sent me in the fall. I put them away and forgot about them. I'm going to plant them as soon as it stops raining and the ground dries a bit. You just never know, and at least I can tell her that I did plant them!

Newt