Boston Fern

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by therjerr, May 17, 2006.

1. therjerr

therjerr Member

I have four boston ferns and three are growing big and are very heathly,but one of the ferns are holding water and seems to be dying. The fern has not been water in days so i don't know why this is happening. If anyone can help I would appreciate your advice.

2. L.plant

L.plant Active Member

What do you mean by "holding water"? Does the water not drain through the pot when you water?

3. therjerr

therjerr Member

I have had the fern for over a month and it was rowing and draining after watering and noe the water is not draining,it's just sitting right on top

4. L.plant

L.plant Active Member

It's probably either not draining because the soil is already saturated when you water, or the soil is a peat moss based potting mix which, when very dry, can initially be slow to drain. Just check the soil with your finger for moistness before watering. It can be a bit difficult to strike the right balance between too much and too little water, but once you determine the plant's watering needs, it will be much easier to care for them.

5. therjerr

therjerr Member

I have not watered the one fern in a week but the other three i have that is why i don't understand why they are ok and this one is dying because the soil is not taken the water in. Should I try and repot it?

6. oscar

oscar Active Member

Drop it in a bucket of water, see what happens.

only leave it for half an hour..........i think L.Plant's very dry compost theory is correct.