Winter Tree Wrapping

Discussion in 'Garden Pest Management and Identification' started by 3dognite, Oct 25, 2007.

1. 3dognite

3dognite Active Member

Many people in Alaska wrap their trees with burlap for the winter to protect them from moose browsing. Would cotton sheets serve the same purpose as burlap?

2. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Would they be strong enough to withstand a moose?

3. 3dognite

3dognite Active Member

I think (hope) so...? I guess there's one way to find out!

Someone (from the lower 48) told me it wouldn't be good to wrap the trees "because they need light and air circulation". My thought is the trees are dormant; and there isn't much light to be had up here anyway! Besides people wrap their trees in burlap here all the time.

I think if I use a strong enough rope and wrap it securley around, even if the moose rips off part of the sheet, it should still protect most of the branches.

Last winter they chewed most of my trees & bushes right down to nubs. :( The trees fortunately grew back this summer; but they sure aren't getting much taller. I read somewhere to cut strips of dryer sheets like Bounce and tie them to the branches.

What ever I do it will have to be inexpensive. Winter is coming and I shudder to think about the cost of heating oil this year...

Thanks for posing that question, Michael F. It gives me something to consider when I winterize my moose smörgåsbord.

pam

4. Weedbender

Weedbender Active Member 10 Years

I don't have moose but I have some mighty hungry deer. I cut up some, Dial Herbal Springs soap, put it in nylon stockings and hang on trees and shrubs that I want to protect. Works well for me. It lasts a long time too.

5. 3dognite

3dognite Active Member

I've heard that about Irish Spring soap, too. Someone told me to mix up a pepper spray.

Well, I've got some good ideas from a Google search and a couple of other garden forums I belong to. Just hope some of them work!

Thanks for your suggestion. :)