Topping fir trees

Discussion in 'Woody Plants' started by Shuswap Kathy, Apr 13, 2008.

1. Shuswap Kathy

Shuswap Kathy Member

We have a row of Douglas Firs (20-30 feet tall) that will impede the view of neighbours building above us. I would not object to topping the firs if it will not be harmful to them. I have received conflicting advice on whether this is a bad thing to do because they will produce multiple leaders or whether it will do them no harm except to make them rather unsightly compared to the lovely shape they are naturally. Also does anyone know about the pros and cons of lopping of some (lots) of lower branches on a 40' tall fir that is filling in my lake view? Thanks for any feedback.

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

20'-40' is comparatively young and small so there will be more tolerance than if these were large, mature specimens. Depending on how hard the row is topped it will probably sprout and grow back - meaning you will have to pay to re-do it over and over, depending on how long you live there. The other will probably tolerate the limbing up but it depends on how much you take off and what condition it is in before the pruning. And if you go too far it will look silly.

3. Coastal

Coastal Active Member

Topping is never good, you will get weak epicormic growth and eventually have a hazard tree which will need constant maintenance. I would contact an arborist in your area and ask about having the tree windowed for a better view, it will also reduce its surface area and make it safer in wind storms.

If the tree company says "topping" in their ad in the yellow pages....move along to the next one.

;)