Do you know this plant?

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by ewc79, Jun 1, 2005.

1. ewc79

ewc79 Member

I live in Central Florida and was over at a friend's house when I saw this plant. It is a large plant, probably 5 feet wide. It looks like a large aloe plant (with those types of leaves). The long leaves are very sharp and are light brown in color. In the middle of the plant there is a thick long stem that goes up about 15 feet in the air. On the top of the plant are at least 100 of these little plants that I took a picture of for you to view. I don't have a picture of the main plant. My friend shook the plant gently and probably 20 of these smaller plants fell to the ground. The baby plants really don't look that much like the bigger plant.

I would like to grow this plant at my house, it is very exotic looking. I was hoping someone could tell me what the plant is and how to take care of it.

Thanks in advance for any help!
    Eric Cameron

Attached Files:

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Tillandsia

3. ewc79

ewc79 Member

Thanks for the help!

4. I'd say what you have is a 'bulbil' off either most likely an Agave or possibly a Furcraea. It's hard to tell without seeing a more mature specimen. Agaves flower once at maturity (not 100yrs as sometimes suggested) then die, leaving either offsets or the bulbils that you have come across. I'd recommend looking up Agave and see if you can find a match.
    Plant your bulbil and it will happily grow don't water too much through winter. If you live in a cold region you may not have much luck through winter as these plants are relatively frost tender.
    S.S

5. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Yes: enlarging photo and reading description of mother plant clearly not Tillandsia.

6. Chuck White

Chuck White Active Member

My presumption from seeing the photo and reading the description is that the plant is the Agave Americana. If the tips of the leaves are "relatively" soft, as opposed to hard, shiny, black spears, that is probably what it is.