Yellow Desert Lichen...name?

Discussion in 'Fungi, Lichens and Slime Molds' started by gothamxi, Jan 30, 2010.

1. gothamxi

gothamxi Member

I was out hiking in the desert, got to the peak of this mountain and looked across to another arm. On the side of the cliff it looked like someone had smeared bright yellow paint all over. So I went over to climb down an investigate (nearly dying in the process) and lo and behold it was a bunch of lichen. In total over a meter square of it in the middle of nowhere. It was on the north-facing side, so less sun. The other plants nearby were some creosote, and some other coniferous bush which I had also never seen before (I'm generally working at a lower elevation). This is in the Sonoran Desert in California near the border of Arizona.
    So thought you guys might be curious. I'll post one pic here and the rest on photo bucket. There were more patches than are in the pictures.

http://s27.photobucket.com/albums/c162/gothamXI/yellow lichen/

hopefully this will somewhat redeem me of my pseudo-lichen balloon post.

Attached Files:

2. C.Wick

C.Wick Active Member

I'm not the best at lichens...but am slowling learning.......
    The yellow is possibly Acarospora schleicheri
    The grayish maybe Dimelaena radiata?

3. gothamxi

gothamxi Member

o cool, two for one! i thought the gray one was just the dead leftovers of the yellow one. There also looks like there is something black growing in there.

4. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Yes, the black one is a lichen as well -- and perhaps the brown one, too. So 3, perhaps 4, lichens.

Acarospora schleicheri seems to be a good match (read this article)