Black bamboo transplanting

Discussion in 'Poaceae' started by Jasontheemperor, May 21, 2007.

1. Jasontheemperor

Jasontheemperor Member

Hi,

My neighbor planted black bamboo (Nigra) last year, and it did nothing for the whole year. This spring it exploded with a vengance. It also ventured into my yard. I have plans to transplant it to an area I have prepared for it. It is about fifteen feet tall and is a lush green. Are the odds of it's survival pretty good? It's heading toward the hot part of the year, and it is hardly establshed. However, that is the point. I don't want it to get established where it is. I will move it no matter what, however some suggestions would be welcome. Soon it will be very toasty here (90's F).

Thank you,
    Jason

2. Weekend Gardener

Weekend Gardener Active Member 10 Years

It will stand a much better chance if transplanted when the temperatures are cooler. If you simpler must transplant it now, move it with as much of the root ball and soil intact as possible, reduce the height of the existing canes but make sure that there is at least 50% of the foliage left, mulch and water well.

How old is the new culm? It would be preferrable to transplant it when the culm is at least one year old. If you are worried about rhizomes wandering further afield into your garden, put your shovel into the lawn in a perimeter around the clump and severe any new rhizomes that arises. However, You are unlikely to see much in the way of rhizomes springing out of a year old new "satellite" clum. It's the original parent plant that you have to watch out for - there is a lot more little baby clumps of bamboo waiting to sprout out as extensions of the parent plant.

3. Jasontheemperor

Jasontheemperor Member

The new culm is a month or two. I thought it would start to build it's root mass and send rhizomes out fairly quickly. If not then I am relieved. I really want it to survive when I transplant it. It is a very pretty bamboo. I guess I will have to wait.

Thanks for the reply,
    Jason

4. Jasontheemperor

Jasontheemperor Member

This is an update on my earlier post. Last weekend my neighbor gave me some bamboo that had escaped from his containment area. He just wanted it out of his yard so I doubt he did it gently. I got at least ten stalks. Most had at least 1 to 3 feet of under ground rhizomes. Some had no rhizomes just a few roots. Very little soil was left on any of the roots. I planted them as soon as I could. I staked them to protect against wind and have watered them regularly.
    I expected them to suffer some shock and most of the leaves curled up that day. The leaves on two of the culms didn’t curl until the 3rd day (Delayed shock I guess…). I expect most of the leaves will fall. I am hoping they will recover. They are all young culms, probably too young.
    If you have any suggestions on what I can do to help my bamboo recover I am all ears.

Thanks,
    Jason