British Columbia: Food plants on a busy street

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by Kamiry, Feb 15, 2012.

1. Kamiry

Kamiry Member

My front garden gets the most sun (still not tons), but it is on a pretty busy street. I like growing food, but I'm worried about eating food that has absorbed a lot of car fumes. Does anyone have any advice about what food to plant there that doesn't absorb as much. Ie. are plants that you eat the roots better than leaves or legumes? What has the shortest growing season?

I would post in the fruit and veggie forum, but the site wouldn't let me.

Thanks!
    Kamiry

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

I would stay away from the street. Soil on a long busy street may have lead or asbestos in it. Certain root crops, carrots for instance, I think I have seen noted for concentrating soil borne toxic elements to a high degree. Extension Service publication(s) here used to (and may still do, I haven't noticed) say to locate home food crops 100 ft back from highways and busy arterial streets. And people walk their dogs and let them go on and among curbside plantings. I see this all the time here - even shrubs well off the sidewalk, inside yards are apparently considered fair game, how far the leash reaches being the determining factor. Food plants on the street are also accessible to people inclined to help themselves.

I also often see cat piles poking out of loosened, exposed soil in parking strips - but this problem is not peculiar to these locations.

3. Kamiry

Kamiry Member

Ugh! I wasn't even thinking of dog walking messes...