avocado leaves turning brown

Discussion in 'Fruit and Nut Trees' started by bengy, Sep 23, 2006.

1. bengy

bengy Member

My 7 yrs old avocado hass, suddenly leaves are turning brown, starts from the tip of the leaves & slowly right thru. Is this a fungus disease or root rot or is it a natural occurence that might go away after a while? Any spray w/c might help? I don't want to lose my avoc. tree, Pls any helpful hints would be much appreciated.

2. Rima

Rima Active Member

Some idea of its living conditions is necessary to diagnose anything - have weather conditions changed recently (is it living inside or out?), did you repot and change its soil mix? Move it in or out of the sun? Check for spider mites? Leave watering to someone unfamiliar with its routine? Has it gotten cold suddenly?

3. bengy

bengy Member

My avocado's has been outdoor in the ground for nearly 6 yrs now & it's always been thriving well, until recently when all the tip of the leaves (almost) suddenly turned brown.Im keeping an eye on the new leaf buds if it'll also go that way.There are no signs of mites or any other insect's attack.There were few nights heavy frost last winter (Jul. or Aug. this yr), maybe that could have contributed to the prob. but Im only guessing.
    Lately what I've done, I removed all the old mulch (leaves& sticks), put some new homemade compost heap & fertilised it w/ blood & bones, potash, citrus food & pelletised chicken manure as it might help the tree a bit...maybe? I'll wait & see if the tree will pick up as the warm weather mos start on Nov. but meanwhile I have to do something in case it might go downhill.

I'll try to send some pics to show you if I can.

4. ColoradoMushrooms

ColoradoMushrooms Member

Avocado trees really hate those low temps. Frosts can kill if it gets too cold for too long. Have you had frosts in the previous years this cold? Haas Avocados are grown in Southern California and Mexico in places where it rarely gets below 32F (0C) during the winter months. Try not to over fertilize it if you can, that could make the problem worse.